Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

mysterious font issue

jww1066   July 4th, 2010 10:04a.m.

Just now I ran into a strange problem with the traditional character 誤 of 錯誤. Please see this screenshot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jww1066/4760558922/

This is definitely not the way I learned it (here on Skritter, no less), and doesn't match any other fonts I've seen.

This is on Chrome on XP if it matters.

James

Foo Choo Choon   July 4th, 2010 10:35a.m.

Quite a number of traditional Chinese fonts on my computer display the traditional 誤 like this. It corresponds to the traditional form of 吴 (吳).

误 also has 悞 as an 异体字.

jww1066   July 4th, 2010 10:56a.m.

OK, thanks. Then the main problem is that the right-hand pane doesn't match the Flash practice area.

pts   July 4th, 2010 11:52a.m.

The mainland standard is 言口天 as that shown on the right-hand pane. 誤 is Taiwan’s standard.

雅各   July 4th, 2010 6:35p.m.

At least now your not likely to forget how to write this character (:

jww1066   August 11th, 2010 8:47p.m.

@董雅各 You're right, I've never forgotten it since then.

MasterOfComboBoxes   November 30th, 2010 11:32p.m.

I have this strange difference on XP too. But this is true also for the simplified characters.

In Firefox the right and left part are identical for all characters. In Chrome the font in prompting area sometimes looks different. In the chrome font the top dots of characters like 普 look like this /\ instead of this \/. There are some signficant differences on other occasions too.

Is there any way this font can be changed?

nick   December 1st, 2010 9:40a.m.

You could install this font and see if it serves you any better:
http://www.skritter.com/misc/simkai.zip

MasterOfComboBoxes   December 7th, 2010 1:16p.m.

Hello Nick,
thanks for the font. Looks much nicer now, not exactly the same, but that is good training as it looks similar to what you see in the wild here in Beijing. Still not as different as before, giving me hard times while learning.

For other users, in XP you should normally install the font from the control panel not just copy it into the font folder.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!