Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

can't add definition for word

jww1066   July 5th, 2010 5:35p.m.

I added the word 汇总/匯總, "summary; to summarize; to collect; to gather and report". I think it came up as "placeholder word" so I added the definition for the simplified version. Now I can't add the definition for the traditional version; if I do it says "This word already has a definition for that language." This implies that the definition is all set, but there's still something wrong as the traditional version comes up in my list with a button saying "Add definition", and when I cram that section or paste that word into the scratchpad, Skritter skips the traditional version.

The list in question is http://www.skritter.com/vocab/listsect?collapsed=true&list=agVza3JpdHIWCxINVm9jYWJMaXN0SW5mbxjQyqkQDA&style=simp&sect=5

How might I go about fixing this?

James

scott   July 8th, 2010 7:22p.m.

Fixed the bug. Let me know if it still shows up and for what words.

jww1066   July 8th, 2010 10:52p.m.

@scott looks like it's fixed, thanks!

jww1066   July 21st, 2010 12:37a.m.

@scott looks like the bug has come back. Check 特拉華 for example in this list:

http://www.skritter.com/vocab/listsect?list=agVza3JpdHIWCxINVm9jYWJMaXN0SW5mbxjJ4-ETDA&sect=0

James

nick   July 21st, 2010 10:49a.m.

Try again!

jww1066   July 21st, 2010 4:33p.m.

The list is still showing the "Add Definition" button for the traditional variants, but when you click the button it says "The definition for this word has already been set as X".

This is probably related to the fact that I accidentally still had my language set to Spanish when I added all these items. (I didn't notice, as it doesn't seem to do anything, but that's another issue.)

If I change my language to English, the buttons still appear, but I *am* able to enter definitions in the popup. So I imagine this list is now quite confused. Since these are the names of U.S. states and cities, they shouldn't be marked as "Spanish", but I'm not sure how to fix them.

James

scott   July 22nd, 2010 12:10p.m.

Ah I didn't realize you were on Spanish as your source language. Now I've found the real underlying bug. Will upload the fix soon!

jww1066   July 24th, 2010 11:56a.m.

I changed my language back to English and went through that list and added definitions for the traditional variants that had the "Add Definition" button next to them. I noticed something odd, though. In a couple of cases I had made mistakes when I first entered the definitions, so the simplified version would have the erroneous definition, and when I entered the traditional definition, I would enter the corrected definition. What's strange is that the corrected definition would then show up as the definition of the simplified version as well as the traditional version.

I find this very confusing. Isn't it the case that some traditional entries have different definitions than the simplified entries? I am thinking of 几 for example; it has two traditional variants, both of which have different definitions. So why would the new traditional definition overwrite what was in the simplified definition?

I am also a little concerned that many of the definitions I entered before are erroneously tagged as Spanish, but I don't know how to check that. Would it be possible for one of you guys to take a look?

James

nick   July 27th, 2010 3:53p.m.

There are some characters which have multiple traditional variants. For those, your definition will only affect the variant you defined.

For the majority of characters and words, there is a one-to-one or one-to-none simplified-to-traditional relationship, so there's only one definition, and you only have to add the custom definition for one style.

Don't worry about the custom definitions being mistagged. We do a Google language detection on what's being submitted, so most of the English-as-Spanish may have actually been autocorrected to English. In any case, there often isn't enough text to detect the language, so many things will be mistagged. The correction review system is pretty good at moving language definitions around.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!