Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Radicals

breakphreak   February 15th, 2011 12:52p.m.

I am learning radicals among other lists. IF I am getting it right (probably not) - I am requested to draw a character for a supplied English translation.

So, for example it is written: *Bamboo* - bamboo (Kangxi radical 118)

But how do I know if I am requested to write ⺮ or 竹?

Or when I am requested to write *clothes* then is it 衣 or 衤? Same about some other radicals.

Thank you in advance!

Byzanti   February 15th, 2011 1:02p.m.

Change the definition yourself, to tell you which one it wants!

breakphreak   February 15th, 2011 1:10p.m.

But why should I? And how do I know the name for which character? Aren't there any common (but different names) that I can simply learn?

jww1066   February 15th, 2011 1:11p.m.

The radicals have several variants, and the clues in the definitions which tell you which variant it's for are kind of cryptic:

刀 dāo: knife; blade (Kangxi radical 18)
⺈ dāo: knife; blade (Kangxi radical 18, var. 1
刂 dāo: knife; blade (Kangxi radical 18, var. 2; 2 strokes)

:(

I like Byzanti's suggestion. Come up with something you find intelligible...

James

breakphreak   February 15th, 2011 1:18p.m.

Ye, same about *knife*. But hey, man - why don't simply number the variants together with the radical number? There would be still a differentiation, right?

jww1066   February 15th, 2011 3:03p.m.

I'm not sure I understand the question. The definitions of all the variants should theoretically allow you to distinguish them.

竹 zhú: bamboo (Kangxi radical 118)
⺮ zhú: bamboo (Kangxi radical 118, variant)

衣 yī: clothing (Kangxi radical 145)
衤 yī: clothing (Kangxi radical 145, standing variant)

James

breakphreak   February 15th, 2011 3:07p.m.

I mean why should I modify the definitions? In the list you are talking about - are those "variants" already incorporated in characters' definitions?

jww1066   February 15th, 2011 3:40p.m.
breakphreak   February 15th, 2011 3:57p.m.

Ahem, pretty strange but I think I haven't seen the "variant", only "*Bamboo* - bamboo (Kangxi radical 118)" - just as I've wrote above.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!