Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Learning kanji the Heisig way

Rappel   February 16th, 2010 12:41p.m.

Hello everyone !

I am currently studying japanese following genki (at lesson 3) and i like it. Before starting this I already learned hiragana and katakana using Heisig's method. I learned hiragana in 1 day (same with katakana) including the stroke order etc.
I am now at the point in genki where they start introducing kanji and I really want to learn it the heisig way because it sticks like krazyglue and I know it works wonders for me.
I've done some reading on heisig and also read his introduction and I've got one problem with it, which is, it doesnt teach you the readings (and thus the pronounciation) of the character.
Now... my idea was to start heisig and learn the readings at the same time. I know this will slow it down, but I think it'll make me feel less like i've learned only half there is. So basically, I'll try and learn it the heisig way, meaning and writing, and in addition learn the on- and kun-readings.
I really appreciate any feedback on this :)

arp   February 16th, 2010 3:57p.m.

http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=23860001&comments=11

See above. There's a conversation running right now on Heisig.

Rappel   February 16th, 2010 4:51p.m.

Thanks, but I already saw that thread, I don't know the deal with Chinese and this is about japanese :) I don't know how chinese character learning compares to japanese kanji (yeah I know Japanese characters are based on Chinese characters), i know it has pitches, where japanese characters have readings.

nick   February 16th, 2010 6:28p.m.

Doing Heisig for kanji with added readings will be great on Skritter, since by default you see the readings as part of your prompt. There is a lot of debate on whether readings are good with Heisig for Japanese, too, and I don't think you will go wrong either way.

Let us know how it goes!

By the way, have you read any of Khatzumoto's stuff over at All Japanese All The Time on this? He's got a lot of good info there.

Rappel   February 16th, 2010 7:02p.m.

Thanks for the heads up, i'll take a look :). I'm gonna try it and see how it works out for me.

PS. I'll prolly publish the list later on (in parts).

mykal   February 16th, 2010 9:17p.m.

If you are looking to learn Japanese Kanji along with the readings using the Heisig method, I strongly recommend a program called KanjiCan which can be found at http://www.kanjisoft.com.

What makes it great is that the writer includes stories for both the characters and the readings.

I used it in the past for just studying characters, as i was using it as a way of helping me with my Chinese. I believe that using KanjiCan for initially learning the characters and Skritter for retaining them is an awesome combination. What's more, the site now offers a money back guarantee. :)

Hobbes828   February 17th, 2010 12:12a.m.

and along with alljapaneseallthetime.com I would assume that "Reviewing the Kanji" at http://kanji.koohii.com/ would be a great resource. User submitted stories and SRS flashcards and great forums and I don't know what else since I haven't learned Japanese so I haven't spent too much time there...

Good Luck!

Rappel   February 17th, 2010 5:47a.m.

Thanks a lot for all the great advice !

Rappel   February 19th, 2010 4:03a.m.

Small update.
I've done about 80 characters this way, and the thing which is seriously slowing me down is, as expected, the readings. Eventhough I'm not going as fast as I could without learning the readings I think this is fast enough for me. I think without the readings you would be able to get 4x more characters learned in the same time. Kind of strange if you think about it, characters (which seem difficult) are learned in notime while the 'simpler' readings take much more time.

Rappel   February 19th, 2010 4:35a.m.

Forgot to add:
Since this IS the skritter forums, i think that skritter is pretty nice for this method since it separately asks for the character and reading.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!