Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Adding comments to characters

murray   May 26th, 2010 9:28a.m.

Hi,
I can't work out how to add my own comments to each character for when I'm practicing... so I can see my own notes about the character next to the scratch pad instead of (or in addition to) the default character description.

I'm assuming this is done when creating a custom list but I seem to be missing something.
Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Cheers
Muzz

nick   May 26th, 2010 9:58a.m.

We're just alpha testing those features for right now. I will add you to the alpha users list and sometime later today you'll be able to do it. You just click the "add word mnemonic" or "add char mnemonic" buttons while practicing, or click the definitions to edit them.

murray   May 26th, 2010 10:30a.m.

Ah I didn't realise! Thanks very much for that :)

iansh   May 26th, 2010 2:49p.m.

-nick, could you also add me to the alpha testing list?

Thanks

nick   May 26th, 2010 2:57p.m.

Yup. By the way, we're getting very close on most of these features, oh ho ho...

icybeam   May 27th, 2010 10:47p.m.

Is that something akin to an example, like an area in a custom list to add a sentence for contextual understanding?

murray   May 28th, 2010 1:23a.m.

Hi Nick, I tried it out and it's very good. As it's in Alpha stage I'm guessing you could use feedback.

1 - Biggest want is to be able to add mnemonics to characters when creating a custom list. The way it is now, I have to cycle through everything on my practice page once to add all the mnemonics and then go back and practice them after that.

2. When copying and pasting into the mnemonic box quite a few letters seem to turn into symbols such as @ or even Chinese characters when they should just English letters part of a word.

Will let you know if I notice anything else! Keep up the good work :)

scott   May 28th, 2010 10:10a.m.

@icybeam, the mnemonics are more for whatever notes or comments might help you remember the word, like looking at the components of a character and thinking about how those components hint at the meaning. Example sentences are also coming, check out this topic for more info:

http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=32608175&comments=18

@murray, I'm actually working on a new list editor right now and I'm starting to think of how stars and custom definitions and mnemonics can be worked into that. Thinking about it for a little bit, it'll be tough to work in those things without slowing down loading time and also keeping the interface as simple as possible (there's an awful lot going on in the new list viewer/editor). We'll see if we can come up with something though!

Don't know about number 2, though. Nick is gone for the weekend so he'll look into it when he gets back.

nick   June 1st, 2010 9:58a.m.

I will see about fixing this bug, Murray; thanks for the heads up.

nick   June 4th, 2010 8:54p.m.

Murray, I'm looking at the mnemonics you've made, and although I see non-ASCII characters (like — instead of --, or ’ instead of '), they seem to be displaying fine in my browsers.

Can you report what browser you're using and what encoding it thinks the page is in? (Usually it's something like Page -> Encoding. It should be UTF-8.)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!