Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter app for Android

Cannonball Jones   November 10th, 2012 12:30a.m.

I know there was an older thread about this but I could use an update. I finally bought a smartphone (HTC One S) and was hoping to find Skritter on it but no joy. I can use it via the native browser (not Chrome, boo) but it's a little unwieldy. More and more people are using Android now, thankfully. Any plans to release an app?

Oh, and any tips to optimise using the Skritter website on Android?

Laspimon   November 10th, 2012 1:15a.m.

This question is starting to bore me. Is it possible to sticky a post in the forum, titled "Why we are not developing an Android App (at the moment)"?

Grahameh   November 10th, 2012 2:18a.m.

Some info on when it will be available in HTML5 so it can be used on newer Android devices would be useful.

mcfarljw   November 10th, 2012 8:04a.m.

I must agree with Laspimon. There are several questions that come up, get discussed heavily and then fade away after a few days only to be brought up and thoroughly discussed the following week. A sticky with the first post being the Skritter teams official reply and then everything following being open discussion.

@Cannonball Jones,
As Grahameh mentioned they have stated a few times they are looking at optimizing for the Android browser likely using HTML5 rather than making a native app. I think setting might vary depending on your device and android version. I'm using 2.2.1/2.3.6 and it works well enough in the native browser. The bigger problem seems to be my internet connection speed.

nick   November 11th, 2012 7:39p.m.

Perhaps I can make the Professor a bit more helpful when people start to ask about Android, such that that FAQ entry gives more detailed info that might satiate the questioners.

We have no current plans to do anything with mobile-oriented HTML 5 or Android or any other platforms, having our hands quite full with the web and iOS apps as it is. As a small team, this is the best we can do for now. This may change in the future, but if it does, it will still take us a long time to write any new clients--Skritter is a very complex app and not something easy to port.

Alexxx   December 10th, 2012 12:41p.m.

It kinda sucks that you pay the same price just to use it on your PC, when people with iphones (the 2nd most popular mobile OS) get to use skritter mobile as well...

ddapore99   December 10th, 2012 7:36p.m.

@Alexxx
I think it's very fair. If you want to do skritter while on the go, get an iDevice. Popularity really depends on whose numbers your looking at. Many educational pieces of software only have the resources for one platform. I feel very greatful they decided to even make it for the iDevices.

zhangyanglu   December 11th, 2012 3:42a.m.

Especially if you look at the usage statistics (who really surfs with his mobile device, who actually pays for content etc.) instead of just looking at how many users have a device with one or the other platform, iOS is still way ahead.

Beside it perfectly combines with the new delicious Chinesepod app and Pleco. :-))

Schnabelhund   December 11th, 2012 4:15a.m.

Given that there are people who bought Android phones specifically to Skritter on the go, which is now impossible, telling them to buy iDevices in order to do so comes off as cynical.

nomadwolf   December 17th, 2012 6:06a.m.

I would be more clear in the FAQ that an Android app is not going to happen. Right now you have a long sentence at the end of the middle paragraph. Need something more easy to skim.
Perhaps a better summary in the top paragraph of what your plans are and an explanation why in the paragraphs below.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!