Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

writing of 醜

Kewt   November 13th, 2012 7:17p.m.

Hi there

While studying earth branches, I found that 醜 is written in 17 strokes by skritter (with 田), whereas Wenlin uses 16 strokes only (with 鬼). Can anyone explain this to me ?

戴金霸   November 13th, 2012 10:26p.m.

From here
http://www.skritter.com/resources/stroke_order_research

Are there 9 or 10 strokes in 鬼?

If you are a traditional character purist, you will notice that there is a discrepancy between how this character is written in traditional and simplified fonts. This is because there is actually an extra stroke in the traditional form of this radical inside the top box. Instead of having one large piě stroke, the traditional has a short shù in the box, a héng, and then a piě. Since there are unicode points for this and the radical is common, we support the difference. If you see a character that you don't think has the right style applied, let us know via the contact form on the study page.

pts   November 14th, 2012 1:05a.m.

The 10 strokes 鬼 is the traditional form. The 9 strokes one is a newer font (新字形
) used in the mainland. Yes, the mainland government does not only promote the simplified characters but also changes the look of a lot of the traditional ones. A list of the other traditional characters that have been modified can be found here: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/新字形 .

Also, please note that the traditional form of the 2nd earthly branch is still 丑. 醜 has nothing to do with the earthly branch.

Schnabelhund   November 14th, 2012 7:31a.m.

Oh yeah, I was wondering what's the deal with characters like 鬼, 差, 象 etc.
I'd really like to see them in their traditional forms when practicing traditional characters. Since you already got them in Japanese Skritter, it's possible, isn't it?

nick   November 15th, 2012 10:52a.m.

The system does not support having two different written appearances for the same Unicode point in the same language. The Japanese characters have different styles for the same Unicode point because they're tagged as Japanese, and Japanese gets its own copy of everything.

Schnabelhund   November 15th, 2012 12:18p.m.

OK, so are you going to change 醜?

nick   November 15th, 2012 5:34p.m.

No, because it already has the correct number of strokes for traditional (one extra as compared to how the 鬼 would be written in simplified), as per the stroke research answer above.

Schnabelhund   November 15th, 2012 10:53p.m.

I see, so if the 鬼 appears *only* in the traditional variant, it’s a 10-stroke-鬼? I thought you might wanna change it to the 9-stroke-鬼 for the sake of consistency.

nick   November 15th, 2012 11:18p.m.

Just going by the policy that George determined a while back. It could go either way, but it's not so straightforward to change them, so we'd like to stick with it without a strong reason to make the switch.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!