Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

iOS functions that could be brought into web version

bennyboyk   November 15th, 2012 4:48a.m.

1. Double tap to reveal character

2. Swipe up to re-write character

PRETTY PLEASE!

nick   November 15th, 2012 11:09a.m.

Ah, items high on my to-do list! Other features to be backported:

3. Submit character reviews in words only when Skritter thinks you actually don't know the character, as opposed to just that it's that character in this word.

4. Click to advance after completion on more types of prompts? (Maybe not, since the affordance of sliding isn't there, so it might be more confusing...)

Other suggestions?

nick   November 19th, 2012 12:45a.m.

I've implemented 1: double-tap to show. This is applicable to writing prompts, tone prompts, and Chinese pinyin prompts. Try it out on beta and let me know what you think.

nick   November 19th, 2012 2:23p.m.

Also now on beta is 2: swipe-up to erase. This works like it does on iOS, except that you can't erase reading and definition prompts on the web version, and also I haven't implemented the particle trail or any sort of visual feedback when your erase swipe will be valid. Have a try!

nomadwolf   November 20th, 2012 3:14a.m.

Is there a reason the forum index page is so wrong?
For me this topic is listed as "last updated 4 days ago", when clearly you updated 1 day ago and also today.

Also, the "?comment=x" item in the URL is often wrong/out of date. (not for this thread currently, but often on other threads).
Since the forum doesn't have proper tracking of "new" items, the date & link URL are all I have to work from!

(Sorry for dumping on this thread).

nick   November 20th, 2012 3:21a.m.

Is it "updated 4 days ago" or "created 4 days ago"? Are you sorting by update time or creation time?

?comment=x will be wrong if:

1) We delete a spam post, which will lower the count by one.
2) You just "refresh" a forum thread instead of loading it afresh from the main topic index page (/forum).
3) Someone else posts while you're posting.

Other than that, I'm not aware of anything that would mess it up. Perhaps you can help me narrow down the cases where it doesn't work?

nomadwolf   November 20th, 2012 3:28a.m.

Ah, you're right, it's created. I had always thought it was "updated", and didn't know you can switch between the 2.

In that case, never mind.

Edit: It looks like posts made on the main site take a while to show up on the beta site forum. I can't find this post on beta for a little while...

nick   November 20th, 2012 3:34a.m.

That makes sense, I guess--the cache on the beta site wouldn't be cleared when the main site updates it. I wonder if we can easily work around this.

Theopneusty   November 20th, 2012 4:47p.m.

I like the way characters light up (green, yellow, red) after you finish a character in iOS. On the web version it only seems to have red and green. The addition of yellow when you do a mediocre job would be nice. I understand that this is a fairly minor feature but it really helps differentiate a good job from a moderate job.

nick   November 20th, 2012 6:48p.m.

Ah, that's a good point. That could be something we could port over. I haven't heard much feedback on this particular aspect. Do others find this helpful in the iOS app, too, and want it in the web version?

Laspimon   November 20th, 2012 10:47p.m.

Yes, I would like yellow.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!