Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

New keyboard shortcut suggestions

nick   November 17th, 2012 8:09p.m.

I'm getting ready to make new keyboard shortcuts to cover the following four functions:

1) Show hidden readings
2) Show mnemonic
3) Changing word-level grading

I might also be talked into this, if more people are interested (I had one request a while ago):

4) Starring words

What other keyboard shortcuts have y'all been pining for? Keep in mind the existing list of shortcuts:

http://www.skritter.com/faq?#shortcuts
(Plus Shift+A for Quick Add, which isn't on there yet.)

It's hard to change shortcuts once we make them, so we want to make sure we add all of the useful ones in this batch.

Laspimon   November 17th, 2012 11:45p.m.

One of the reasons I have not used the desktop version more than a couple of times, is that I want to be able to grade words and their characters independently, just like on the iOS app. I have not been able to figure out how to do that. Is it possible?
A shortcut that allows you to mark as so-so would also be nice.

nick   November 18th, 2012 5:34p.m.

If you're not running Internet Explorer, you can click on the word-level grading indicators in the prompt to toggle through them. They look like little check marks in colored circles, next to the part of the prompt to which they refer. Proposed shortcut 3 would let you also toggle this with the keyboard.

You can press 1-4 to manually grade prompts, with 2 being the so-so shortcut. You might also want to make sure the 1-4 grading buttons are enabled in your study settings (the gear on the study page).

ddapore99   November 18th, 2012 5:44p.m.

I don't uses the keyboard shortcuts. Could you remind me of what shortcuts Skritter already has?

nick   November 18th, 2012 5:55p.m.

Sure--check the FAQ link: http://www.skritter.com/faq?#shortcuts

nick   November 20th, 2012 3:18a.m.

Okay, try these guys out on beta:

Change word-level grading: C, , (comma)
Show hidden reading: F, J
Show mnemonic: E, I
Star word: R, U

If we like them, then they'll go live next month on the 15th.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!