Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Why can I not add my own readings and definitions?

dilon9   November 22nd, 2012 4:14p.m.

Hello everyone ! I know Skritter does not support Cantonese but I was wondering, why you don't offer something like Memrise, where users can add their own readings and definitions (and perhaps even upload sound files ! )

What I really want is to utilize the great combination that Skritter offers, writing practice + SRS, there is no other alternative that offers it...but of course, I am a CANTONESE learner!

So developers, you see I am even willing to put in all work my self, I just want to be able to utilize the technology for my learning...so would something like this at all be possible ?

I have read in this forum about a workaround for this, so I could at least add Cantonese readings, but I think it is very impractical, and furthermore, it does not allow me to add my own sound files, which I think is really important, to hear the words spoken.

All I need is some way to create my own "database" so to speak, based on the characters and their stroke orders that already exist in Skritter anyway...I would even be happy to pay a higher monthly fee, anything, but I hope something would be possible ?

nick   November 23rd, 2012 12:02a.m.

I see your use case, and I agree that being able to edit readings would be useful here, since you would be able to use it to study Cantonese.

You asked why we don't support custom readings and sound files. The answer is that each feature like that is a significant amount of work, and when we first built custom definitions, there was a really obvious and useful feature there that many users would want, but we didn't see that as being true for custom readings and audio files, so we decided not to build the supporting infrastructure for that.

We have limited development resources, and we have to prioritize them. Allowing customizable readings and definitions is easier than building all of Cantonese support ourselves, but it's still too much work compared to the amount of total joy it would bring to the relatively tiny number of Cantonese learners.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!