Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

question for those who have both ipad/itouch

Bohan   December 25th, 2012 11:06a.m.

I have an 4th generation itouch right now, and it's great except that the battery runs out after 2 hours. I also remember seeing a while back that some devices have less app-crashes because they have more horsepower, or something. The app does shut down quite a bit, though I haven't upgraded in about 3 months.

So, I'm considering getting an Ipad for the better battery-usage, and I'm wondering if those who have used both devices think the Ipad has less crashes than the Itouch. If so, then that will make it a really easy decision for me. If not, then...I'll consider it

Bohan   December 25th, 2012 11:08a.m.

also, anyone using skritter with the ipad mini?

mw   December 25th, 2012 11:47a.m.

On both ipad2 and ipad4 I hardly ever crash

russell359   December 25th, 2012 12:35p.m.

would love to use skritter on ipad mini, just waiting for them to become available in Taiwan (again) after they sold out immediately after release, stocks have yet to be replenished, ho hum.

夏普本   December 25th, 2012 12:50p.m.

I don't think it's ever crashed on my iPad 3. I tried skritter on a iPad mini in the apple store and depending on what else you would use the iPad for is probably better for skritter, just because of the significant weight reduction, my hands seriously ache after skrittering. I would go for the mini now because skritter is 95% of my iPad usage, but if you do other things, especially word processin or watching video/film you'd be better with the full size one.

Unprovincial   December 25th, 2012 5:08p.m.

I use it with the ipad mini and I'm very happy with it even though I have the feeling that it drains a lot of battery. Anyone has the same experience?

Zeppa   December 25th, 2012 6:09p.m.

Yes, no crashes on iPad, many on iPod Touch.

JB   December 25th, 2012 10:16p.m.

I use it on ipad mini, I've never noticed a noticeably different effect on the battery life per se

JB   December 25th, 2012 11:23p.m.

I supposed I might have noticed a not noticeably different effect though.

Bohan   December 26th, 2012 6:47a.m.

how long does the battery last on ipad mini? I can skritter for only 2 hours on itouch

夏普本   December 26th, 2012 8:16a.m.

Think the battery life is about the same as the regular ipad. Depending on your settings (high brightness is a battery killer), you would get way more than 2hrs. I have never run out skrittering, but would guess it would easily be double or triple that.

Bohan   December 26th, 2012 8:53a.m.

does anyone who uses the ipad-mini know how many Skritter hours it gets?

truando   December 26th, 2012 8:59a.m.

I use it both on iPad mini and iPhone 5. I had one crash on iPad requiring a restart in 30 hours of use. Battery is not an issue, at least I don't notice. The two complement each other nicely, I use the Bamboo stylus for the iPhone and the finger on the iPad, with iPad mini being the most comfortable and smoothest.

Short version: highly recommended.

Bohan   December 26th, 2012 9:06a.m.

my next question is, which is better for Skrittering, the ipad or the ipad-mini?

Bohan   December 26th, 2012 9:06a.m.

also, is there going to be an ipad-mini version of the app? Or is the current ipad app perfectly compatible with the ipad-mini?

夏普本   December 26th, 2012 9:51a.m.

I can only comment on my brief go in the apple store. The iPad app works fine and actually looks more proportioned on the smaller screen. If you have used an iPad it might feel a little odd getting used to the size difference, but you haven't so it won't. The lighter weight is a big advantage if you skritter for a lot of time as I have to test my iPad on something to avoid aching hands.. I skritter between 1-2 hours per day, you would have to be doing way more hours for it to run out. Skritter isn't a really intensive thing for the iPad.

I would go for the iPad mini just for skrittering but if you watch videos the extra size is probably better on the iPad. The prices are fairly comparable as well, if the mini was cheaper I would definitely get it but the small price difference makes you feel like your getting scammed going for the mini.

nick   December 26th, 2012 1:37p.m.

I use the iPad all the time, but I briefly tried Skrittering on an iPad mini, and I prefer it. Much lighter, and writing the characters a little smaller is good. It's the same interface between iPad and iPad mini, but it scales better to the mini.

atdlouis   December 26th, 2012 1:49p.m.

I went to the apple store and downloaded Skritter on an ipad mini there. I prefer it to using an iphone 4S.

To make your ipod touch last longer, you should have it in airplane mode while you're doing reviews. And turn the brightness down to a reasonable level.

Bohan   December 27th, 2012 12:47a.m.

okay cool. So, is the current ipad app perfectly compatable with the mini?

truando   December 27th, 2012 4:43a.m.

definitively the ipad mini. works like a charm.

Bohan   December 27th, 2012 9:12a.m.

one thing that I've been reading about online that I don't understand is, apparently the ipad-mini and the full sized ipad have the same battery life (10 hours). How can this be?

atdlouis   December 27th, 2012 11:38a.m.

The full sized iPad has a retina display. It needs a bigger battery to power up that display with all of those pixels.

The iPad mini doesn't have the same resolution. So it can use a smaller battery, yet still have the same battery life because it isn't lighting up as many pixels.

atdlouis   December 27th, 2012 11:39a.m.

This is also why the latest ipad model is thicker and heavier than the ipad2. Both of the models have the same size display, but the latest iPad has twice the pixels, so it needs a bigger, thicker battery to power them.

Bohan   January 6th, 2013 8:33a.m.

If the price of the new Ipad and Ipad-mini were the same, which would be the one you'd recommend for using Skritter? Considering things like: memory, size, comfort on the eyes, battery, being able to view features possibly unavailable on the smaller device, etc.

atdlouis   January 6th, 2013 2:08p.m.

If the price was the same, I'd still buy the iPad mini. The iPad is just too heavy for daily long term use.

What you should really do is go to an Apple store or a 3rd party dealer, and download Skritter on the machines, and try it out that way. You'll have to log in with your iTunes account to download an app.

Then you can try it out, and see how it feels to use the app with the different models. When I did this, the iPad mini was a clear winner for me.

When you're done, delete the app, and go into the settings and delete your iTunes account from the showroom model.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!