Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

More features on iOS

danisovic   December 29th, 2012 5:25a.m.

Nihao

yesterday I tried the computer webpage, so far I was practicing using the apps only. And I'll continue, the webpage is far not that good as the apps. But my suggestions about features I'd like to see in the apps:

- which list the word comes from (this feature is already available on PC, why not in the apps?)
- this could be the way to fill the empty space on a landscape iPad app ;)

danisovic   December 29th, 2012 5:29a.m.

Another general feature I'd suggest is to have a possibility to choose which dimensions of a character to practice in this way:

Simplified definition, s reading, s tone, s writing
Traditional definition, t reading, t tone, t writing

So far the choice is quite limited. What I'd like to do is to continue with simplified characters, but be able to read the traditional ones. So what I'd like to learn are these dimensions:

all 4 simplified, t reading

Or is it somehow possible already today?

夏普本   December 29th, 2012 6:57a.m.

I don't think I care which list a word comes from, but I can see why some people might. Studying just the reading of traditional characters alongside fully studying simplified sounds good, but think I'd start studying fully once I reached a happy level with the simplified.

Something id really like to see is more in your face mnemonics, I just checked the web version to see if its more user friendly but if anything it's less user friendly. For anyone who has studied the character components, this is by far the best way to remember meanings and I just don't think it's being utilised here and that's because it's not easy enough to see. That's memrises key selling point and I think skritter are missing out on a lot more users by not emphasising a feature like that here.

nick   December 29th, 2012 11:17a.m.

We might be able to do the list name thing in the word details view, but it wouldn't be on the front display area.

On the list for someday is having per-list part study controls, maybe with style controls, too. That would make it much easier to do what you're talking about. But it's not anywhere close to the top of the list. For now, you would have to change your style to "Both", change your parts to reading, and add through some lists of characters you want to have in traditional, then switch back to "Simplified and Previously Added Traditional" and all parts.

bjnsharp, how would you want the mnemonics to be more in-your-face?

夏普本   December 29th, 2012 5:43p.m.

If it could be possible to have it revealed when you reveal the answer, on the same page, underneath the meaning or something. This might not be possible for longer mnemonics and on the iPhone app, but I find the best ones are the short ones. There seems plenty of extra space on the Ipad and maybe the longer ones could just be expandable.

I think the two main problems are, you have to press the small mnemonics drop down menu, which is an extra step you have to proactively take, maybe this seems lazy. Secondly when the mnemonics revealed it covers the character, so you can't see the character and read the mnemonic to understand it.

I spent a lot of time learning through mnemonics and maybe it won't help others as much but I find it really works.

Zeppa   December 29th, 2012 6:16p.m.

I hope it would remain possible to hide the mnemonics! So that people who really want them can choose this extra step.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!