Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Remembering the Kanji

freeway   January 1st, 2013 12:13p.m.

Is it possible to study remembering the Kanji in the app but instead of always just writing the characters after seeing the keywords, you do it the other way so you see the characters and have to say the keywords? I can't work out how to set it up so I can study both ways. Please help!

AdoHaha   January 1st, 2013 3:07p.m.

I agree. It would be cool to be able to do reverse i.e. to be able say the meaning of kanji while viewing instead of writing when shown the meaning.

nick   January 2nd, 2013 12:51a.m.

That's the definition prompt, but the Remembering the Kanji books only include the "component" characters, as we call them, for which you can only study the writings. So the definition prompts don't work for those, unfortunately.

You would have to study some single-character "word" versions of those characters to get the definition practice in there, but then you might not see the RTK keywords in as many places, either. Sorry--we don't have a good workaround for this one.

freeway   January 2nd, 2013 4:40p.m.

Hi Nick, I'm a little confused by your response. Surely there would be a way that it could just test your knowledge of the keywords? I've seen people do this with decks on Anki.

It should be easy for you to do as you already have all the heiseg keywords in your database, shouldn't it?

nick   January 2nd, 2013 5:13p.m.

The keywords are only applied to the "component" versions of the characters in Skritter. These components only have writing practice, not definition and reading practice. This is because the components often have tons of readings and definitions that aren't really words on their own.

After we set that up, we later added the RTK keywords, which would make the definition study feasible--not for the real definitions of the components, but for their Heisig keywords. But we haven't gone back and changed the system so that people with RTH enabled can study definitions for the components. Why? It's not as easy as you think to add that kind of support, and it's not a common use case, since most Japanese Skritterers aren't using RTK.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!