Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Comments on reading functionality

Lurks   April 11th, 2010 8:45p.m.

I'm getting the "wrong" boink when hitting return on the keyboard which seems to be odd, when I'm getting stuff right.

Secondly, it'd be best not to switch between regular mode and the reading stuff too often. It necessitates a switch between keyboard and the stylus which takes a little while. I've had it just bust one out which was a bit annoying :)

Lurks   April 11th, 2010 8:48p.m.

Oh yes, reading the blog about a reader improvement - if you add those tone colours to it I'm just going to have to disable reader. I don't use those tone colours so it would be actively detrimental to see them at all :)

Byzanti   April 12th, 2010 3:53a.m.

Tone colours is an optional thing in the top right of the settings menu.

(For which they should allow us to change the colours!)

Lurks   April 12th, 2010 4:14a.m.

Doh, didn't see that. Still so long as I can keep it off that's fine. :)

nick   April 12th, 2010 8:26a.m.

Oh yeah; I see the problem with the boink. I've fixed it and will upload today. Thanks!

jww1066   April 12th, 2010 8:26a.m.

I recently re-enabled sound effects so I could get the +1 notifications and I think I now understand why I hated the sound effects so much when they debuted. There is too much negative reinforcement, and some sounds (like the one that Lurks mentions) that are negative even though you did nothing wrong.

I am specifically infuriated by the "wrong stroke" noise. Skritter is often the one to blame for this; when there's a stroke that I perfectly well know how to write, and Skritter is insisting I'm doing it wrong, I'm ALREADY annoyed, and adding a little skritch-skritch tsk-tsk noise makes it that much worse.

I would focus the sounds instead on positive reinforcement. It's more reliable as far as developing motivation anyway.

James

nick   April 12th, 2010 9:08a.m.

I will remove the stroke order noise. You are right that it is annoying.

jww1066   April 12th, 2010 10:19a.m.

Thanks Nick!

jww1066   April 20th, 2010 9:54a.m.

Hi Nick,

I still seem to be getting a "wrong" boink when I hit return.

James

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!