Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Forum feature request... edit posts

雅各   April 13th, 2010 7:32a.m.

Hey Guys, I notice that I sometimes after the fact need to clarify or add to my posts. Any chance of an edit post feature? I am not a fan of posts being editable indefinitely but for say at least 5 minutes after the were written.

west316   April 13th, 2010 8:18a.m.

I second that request. Sometimes I post something in a forum to read it after the fact and realize that perhaps it came across as harsher than I meant it to be. Perhaps I left something out and don't want to double post. I always become a little paranoid before posting here since I realize I can't edit it after the fact.

scott   April 13th, 2010 10:37a.m.

We thought about it before but we don't think it's really necessary. It's better to keep things simple, and you can always clarify and add to your post with a second post.

April 14th, 2010 11:27p.m.

I always get mad when I realize some typos just because I didn't re-read my post before submitting. I therefore too would like to see some edit options ;)

cbjartli   April 16th, 2010 12:17a.m.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a simple edit feature in case of silly mistakes/errors/blunders/being drunk while posting

Lurks   April 19th, 2010 8:45a.m.

It'd be nice to bin the entire my-first-forum and replace it with something off the shelf that works a zillion times better imo :)

Doug (松俊江)   April 19th, 2010 9:19a.m.

From one of Nick's earlier (way earlier) posts he is following Joel on Software's forum design principles: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/BuildingCommunitieswithSo.html

Lurks   April 19th, 2010 4:51p.m.

Reinventing the wheel with minimal functionality? :)

nick   April 19th, 2010 5:04p.m.

I didn't see anything good that would integrate easily with App Engine and use our user accounts. Plus, I tend to agree with Joel that most forums are bloatblobs. I think it's more like replacing the riced up Honda Civic with the dope spoiler which is built to drive on the wrong side of the road with a bicycle. It's not fancy, but I don't see anything important missing, and we don't need a lot for something of our size.

jww1066   April 19th, 2010 9:10p.m.

Are we generally happy with the kinds of discussions that have developed on the forum? I certainly have been. People tend to be very helpful and positive. I can remember exactly one pissing match, and by Internet standards that was pretty tame.

James

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!