Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Wacom Bamboo tablet in portrait mode?

Ibid   April 18th, 2010 11:17p.m.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else has tried/had success at using the Wacom Bamboo in portrait mode (rotated 90 degrees from its standard landscape format). I travel lot with my Bamboo Pen & Touch, and often don't have desk space for both my laptop and the tablet in landscape mode. I've scoured Google and Wacom forums with no luck.

Thoughts?

FatDragon   April 20th, 2010 4:54a.m.

http://community.wacom.com/tipstricks/131

I didn't watch the video, so I obviously haven't tried this tip out. I was just browsing the Wacom Tips and Tricks page when I stumbled across it - no guarantees, but good luck.

Ibid   April 20th, 2010 1:53p.m.

FatDragon, thanks for the link. It seems the tutorial is intended for people with the Intuos. Basically the drivers for the Intuos tablet support portrait mode, but the Bamboo doesn't seem to have that capability. I'll try to contact Wacom directly and ask about it.

Fernando Bueno   September 16th, 2010 11:32p.m.

Hey Ibid did you manage to do it? Figured out a way to use the Bamboo at 90 degrees? I'd love to hear a yeas. ;)

best regards

Lurks   September 17th, 2010 1:21a.m.

Mmm that'd save me a bit of real estate too. It'd have the USB lead point away rather than side ways. Doubtless you can do this on Ubuntu if you go to the ballache of getting the Wacom to work on it.

There's just a text file that defines everything about how it's mapped.

nick   September 17th, 2010 8:32a.m.

Funny story about changing the orientation on these guys. When I was first building the handwriting recognition three years ago, I was writing a desktop Python program to accept Wacom input and do recognition. But because it was using a third-party Python module to get input from the Wacom, it didn't notice that my screen was rotated, so it wrote sideways.

I was trying to write a simple mapper function to reorient things, but I'd been excitedly working on the project all night and it was 7 am. So I kept trying to figure out the coordinate transformation, which really shouldn't have been hard, but I kept messing it up, for like an hour. Then Scott woke up and I asked him to do it for me, and he did it in five minutes. (Later turned out that he'd done it wrong, too, and I redid it in another five minutes after I'd slept, and this time it worked).

Haha, here's that old code:
x = ((packet.y - wtab.inexty * (1 - zoom * wtab.inextx / wtab.inexty) / 2) / (wtab.inexty * zoom * wtab.inextx / wtab.inexty))
y = -packet.x / (wtab.inextx * zoom) + (1 + 1 / zoom) / 2

Then when it was used on a screen that wasn't rotated sideways, it would write sideways again, and I'd have to switch in another line of code to stop the unrotation. Now I see I should have just rotated my Wacom!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!