Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

a get a pop-up from the Skritter site when I'm practising

Bohan   April 23rd, 2010 8:29p.m.

This is the pop-up that shows up when I try to study my self-made lists:

"In order to get started practicing with Skritter, please go to the Vocabulary Lists page to choose what you'd like to study. (Or make sure you're studying the right language--you're in Chinese mode.)

Looks like your subscription isn't active, so you can't add more words, but you don't really have any words, either, so you can't study. If you'd like to extend your trial period to have a chance to check Skritter out, let us know and we'll get you set up again. "

JanVanderdam   April 24th, 2010 12:42p.m.

I am getting the same pop-up, at least the first part. Only it says I am in Japanese mode. I checked and my subscription is valid in fact, today was my first day in paid subscription mode (heh-heh!) Should I have paid in Yuan or Yen or something? (Just kidding!) Should I be extending my trial period? In any case, could you please find out what happened and let us know if there is an issue with the system or something? I am eager to get started! Thanks.

JanVanderdam   April 24th, 2010 1:24p.m.

I tried logging in with IE 8 and get the same message. I am using Windows 7 and IE8 and also Firefox 3.5.7.

JanVanderdam   April 25th, 2010 7:58p.m.

So I suppose when the system tells you to add some words to the study list it really means "add some words to the list!" Now that I followed the directions, my pop-up and messages have disappeared. Seems like it is not locking up anymore either. Maybe it was just doing that because my study list ran out of words? Anyway, my Skritter is now working fine and, my new Wacom "Bamboo Fun" I bought from the Skritter Wacom store has just arrived and is absolutely awesome! Thanks Skritter team!!

scott   April 26th, 2010 2:35p.m.

We'll have to tweak that message; it could be a little more specific about what needs to happen in order for practice to begin. In general, it just means there simply aren't enough words for study to begin. Either the list needs to be enabled, or words need to be added to it.

In your case, Bohan, your list is just too small. It's only got three words in it. The scheduler needs more than that in order to work properly, I think maybe just one more. I'll talk with Nick though to see if we can lower the required number of words so you can study only a few at a time.

I wasn't able to get the payment message you got. Your account is enabled, so you shouldn't have gotten that message. Will have that looked into.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!