Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Grammar/Translation help? 我愛你的賭注,不怕輸

雅各   April 26th, 2010 6:20p.m.

Anyone know how to translate this? Even better, anyone know what grammar I am missing?

我愛你的賭注,不怕輸

I am learning pop songs to see if it will help my study
http://lyric.coms.hk/archiver/tid-5031.html

雅各   April 26th, 2010 6:22p.m.

NB: I love how three characters "不怕輸 " require so many words to translate... would it be:

What have you got to loose?
or
Dont be afraid of loosing?
or
something else?

Byzanti   April 26th, 2010 6:38p.m.

Err, I'm not sure about the 賭注 bit (something to do with betting? Perhaps there's a secondary meaning?), but generally 不怕 translates as not afraid, so in this case "not afraid to lose", or "not worried about losing".

jcraigie   April 26th, 2010 6:50p.m.

注 can mean stakes (as in gambling), so i guess 赌注 means "what you are gambling" though i dont know how that fits into the context of the song.

雅各   April 26th, 2010 10:49p.m.

So its not just me (: Ill have to track down a native speaker then. I'll report back in case anyone is interested.

雅各   April 26th, 2010 11:07p.m.

I spoke to my singaporian friend and he says that the missing bit was that I need to translate 赌注 as something like "gambling style".. so its..

"I like your gambling style, your not afraid of loosing"

pts   April 27th, 2010 12:25p.m.

To understand this, we have to start from the fourth line immediately above it. The singer is asking Mr. Q to say his pledge. “說你 …” is “Say that you …”, and those four lines are the content of the pledge. “我愛你的賭注” is “I love your pledge.”

Translating 不怕輸 is more difficult. I think that it is intentionally made ambiguous. First, it encourages Mr. Q to say his pledge by misleading him into thinking that she is saying 不(要)怕輸 “Don’t be afraid of loosing.” Hinting that if Mr. Q asks for it, he’ll get it. But, when the outcome turns out to be not in her favor, then she can reinterpret it as she is only saying 我愛你的賭注、 我愛你的不怕輸 “I love this aspect of you ‘not afraid of loosing’.”

The above is my own interpretation. I don’t know if it’s correct or not.

jww1066   April 27th, 2010 3:21p.m.

I think 輸 is "losing", not "loosing":

http://www.nciku.com/search/all/%E8%BC%B8

pts   April 27th, 2010 4:02p.m.

James, thank you for your correction.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!