Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Help, I screwed up Skritter adding new words to my queue

west316   May 3rd, 2010 9:53p.m.

I hate to post questions like this, but I already read the faq and couldn't find anything like this. I also already checked the forums...

I am still in the process of uploading all of my older formal textbooks, and for a change of pace I also wanted to add some MUCH easier words from an old notebook of mine. By triggering two lists at once, I planned on letting Skritter pull from both lists at the same time to mix things up. Here is everything I have done recently to Skritter..

1)Turned added word frequency to almost never so I could burn through my review queue more quickly. Review queue scorched and done with.

2)Created an addition to my Misc custom list and saved. I also remembered to set my new word frequency to maximum.

3)Started to cram the custom list since it is a lot easier than using the study everything button which includes the nightmare essay textbooks list.

4)Noticed I wasn't seeing my new words showing up during cramming, but realized I was being lazy anyway I should really be working on the text book.

5)Went and used the everything button like a good boy. Short Term 6's new words appeared like they should, but still no notebook words...

6)Finished with today's chapter of Short Term 6, but still no new notebook (misc list) words. Went back to try cram button on notebook list but noticed still didn't have any new words from the Misc list.

Any ideas why my new custom list words aren't showing up? I double checked and they seem to be saved properly. Thanks.

skdbhunt   May 3rd, 2010 11:02p.m.

I don't know whether this is related or not, but...
I have a custom list which I periodically add new words to - but I do create a new section when I add a new chunk of words.
When I'm done and it asks what I want to do, if I say 'activate' (or something like that) it puts me back at the beginning of that list instead of continuing on where I was. I think that what happens then is that, whenever Skritter wants to add a new word from my list it looks at the next word and says "he already knows that", but does not check the next word in the list at that point. Rather, a little while later when it decides its time to add another word (or when I click on 'add') it checks the next word and says "he already knows that" and does nothing ... and so on.
I don't know if you are seeing something like that, but now whenever I add to my custom list (which is already active) I don't check "activate" and it continues on from where I left off.

scott   May 4th, 2010 7:49a.m.

Hmm, guess this is a user interface problem with the new list page and system.

@west: what has happened is the list has been 'finished', so you got to the end of it and decided the list was done and stopped trying to add more words from it. Then when you added more words, it still thought you were finished so it still hasn't tried to add more words.

To get it to start adding again, you need to tell it what sections you would like to study. Go to the list page and click the 'More Actions' button. Check whichever sections you want it to add from and then click 'Update Sections'. Now it will be set to go through all the checked sections again and look for things to add.

I think what I'll do is make it so that the system is aware when you study a list and the list has been changed, and prompt the user to choose the sections to add from again when they first arrive back at the practice page. I'm not sure I could do it silently, because the list may have changed more dramatically than just one section added to the end. Not sure when I'll be able to do that but I'll put it on my list.

@skdbhunt: Yeah, when you edit a list, the system doesn't know exactly what has changed, so it goes back to the beginning (though retaining the sections that you may have set to skip). Really though that page is designed only for when the list is first created, not when it is edited. I'll make it so it doesn't show up on edit. It won't be around much longer anyway; working on a new list editing system.

Sorry for the confusion, guys. Hopefully we can make tweaks to the new system that will make it all more intuitive!

west316   May 4th, 2010 9:57p.m.

Thanks Scott. I will try that as soon as I have the chance. I just got swamped with things, and it may be a while before I go adding new words to my Skritter.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!