Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Sentence Constructions

FatDragon   May 4th, 2010 3:05a.m.

Does Skritter allow for ellipses in entries? I have a lot of sentence constructions that I'm still rather sketchy on, some of which are the only contexts in which I use a certain word, and I would like to add constructions to my Skritter study list, such as:

幸亏...不然 - Luckily... otherwise
要是...就 - If... then

Yes, I know these are simple (as a lot of my vocab still is), but I'd really like to have these constructions in Skritter so I don't have to go out of my way to study them separately.

Byzanti   May 4th, 2010 4:03a.m.

It does allow it - Chinesepod uses them a lot, and they appear in the Chinesepod lists. However, I'm not sure how to add them manually - it just tells me its invalid if I try and add new ones on the queue/list finder.

jww1066   May 4th, 2010 10:38a.m.

Yeah I think it's a limitation of the queue/list editor rather than of the backend.

nick   May 4th, 2010 3:37p.m.

Don't put them into the characters field, but put them in the reading and definition fields:

幸亏不然
xìngkuī ... bùrán
fortunately ... otherwise

I think that'll work.

FatDragon   May 5th, 2010 12:27a.m.

Hmm, it would be nice to eventually see the ellipsis in the characters field (though the team's already doing plenty, so no pressure), but that solution will do for now.

nick   May 6th, 2010 6:19p.m.

I was considering how we'd go about mirroring the ellipses in the character fields, but I've decided that it would be more complexity than it's worth. Good suggestion, though.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!