Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Kanji for crossroads

JanVanderdam   May 7th, 2010 10:54a.m.

The kanji character in skritter for crossroads, "辻" or (つじ) seems to be missing the extra dot on the skritter writing pad. The character looks okay in the list and in the side panel but I can't get the writing pad to accept the extra dot. Can you please check this and let us know if this is another way of writing the same thing? Or if it is a type-o?

Thanks! 

nick   May 10th, 2010 5:00p.m.

I've asked Maksym, and he says that the extra dot in 辶 radicals was simplified out for most jōyō kanji, but in some kanji it can remain. You wouldn't have to write it, but it'd be more correct to do so. So I've added the dot for that one.

There are probably a bunch more that need the dot, so if you see more, do alert us. Thanks!

JanVanderdam   May 11th, 2010 1:13a.m.

I was also unaware of the extra dot since I have never used this character except as the (one of the few non-jōyō) kanji for "crossroads" #279 from Heisig's book and even he does not use the extra dot in his handwritten example character. The first time I noticed the extra dotwas in the side panel character at Skritter with 2 dots, which prompted me to notice it in other places like the Nelson (1962 1st edition) which shows only the 2 dot version. But then later I found that the Hadamitzky & Spahn Character dictionary (1991 1st English edition) shows the one dot version with the 2 dot version as an alternate in brackets. I am now wondering how we learners would know when to use which version of this radical? I guess it really doesn't matter much since I probably won't write a lot of handwritten correspondence in Japanese (if ever) and even then, if I ever did, it probably wouldn't matter. But anyway, thanks for looking into this.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!