Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

do you ever delete words?

ulyart   May 24th, 2010 6:21p.m.

in another forum post today Nick asked another user if he or she ever used the delete function, and that reminded me of something I've been thinking about...

I did start deleting words that I found were too easy, but then I thought, "isn't this going to potentially decrease the number of characters I know on my learning stats page?"

Of course, it's just symbolic, but I liked arriving at the milestones of 1000 characters learned, of 2000 characters learned... and, now, aiming for 3000.

If I keep deleting words I know too well, won't I eventually just end up with a few dozen (really difficult) characters "learned"? (is my understanding of the learning stats system accurate?)

So, instead of deleting words from my list, I've started to just use the green arrow to advance to the next word.

Foo Choo Choon   May 24th, 2010 6:32p.m.

心有余而力不足

nick   May 24th, 2010 6:47p.m.

It doesn't decrease your stats, or even delete the word, actually. It just makes it so that it can't come up again by itself until you readd it from somewhere else. It saves your progress on it.

Also, I don't mean to delete words you know really well--those will automatically come up very infrequently anyway. I'm just talking about words that are wasting your time, that you don't want to take the time to learn.

For words that you know well, press '4' and give them a big kick into the future. It's even more powerful than just skipping them (which is only a normal correct grade of '3').

ulyart   May 25th, 2010 5:00a.m.

@nick

thanks for your explanations.

I tried our your tip... kept pressing '4' but it wouldn't advance to the next word... until I figured out you still have to press the 'next' arrow.

So I think I understand now.

Hobbes828   May 25th, 2010 10:55a.m.

or '4' then 'space' (=next arrow, 3 by default unless you grade first) which is usually faster.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!