Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

skritter -> smart.fm

joschua011   May 30th, 2010 9:20a.m.

since my laptop is broken, and i rarely have the chance to practice on skritter because the skritter gods aren't able to bring out an iphone app (one thing i really hate you for, i actually bought the skritter subscription thinking you would do it)i need my skritter vocab exported to any flashcard programm on the iPhone.
I would like smart.fm to be that app since i am already learnin japanese with it..
BUT smart.fm lets me only import single words..is there any programm i can upload a whole list to it?

ddapore99   May 30th, 2010 11:10a.m.

I just heard about smokescreen on Engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/30/smokescreen-makes-flash-content-visible-on-iphone-and-ipad-vide/

Maybe somebody could try it and let us know if it works? ;)

ddapore99   May 30th, 2010 11:19a.m.

Forgot to mention what smokescreen does. It converts Flash into HTML5.

joschua011   May 30th, 2010 12:29p.m.

"we found that Smokescreened Flash content like video and games was impossibly slow when tested on our iPhone 3G"
our only chance is the flash->iphone compiler nick ->already tested<- and "even had a test app written that did the handwriting recognition" but "It would be too much work to finish it (for performance reasons). ".....whatever...

ddapore99   May 30th, 2010 3:09p.m.

Okay, didn't realize they already tried.

ddapore99   May 30th, 2010 4:31p.m.

By the way joschua011 if you want to hate anyone it should be Apple for changing their licensing agreement not the Skritter team. Adobe, Skritter's developers, and many others were not happy and a bit surprised by Apple's last minute change in policy. The people at Skritter didn't try to deceive you.

雅各   May 30th, 2010 6:21p.m.

I have also been looking for something that will allow me to study on my iphone when I am not at the computer. I just tried smart.fm and it has some cool features.

Thomas   May 30th, 2010 11:36p.m.

I use iAnki on my iPod touch. It's a hassle to set up but it works well once it is. It doesn't have writing recognition but I bought a pen and paper for 2RMB instead.

I export my vocabulary from Skritter, combine fields using the =(pinyin cell)&" "&(definition cell) function in a spreadsheet, import to Anki (I select both forwards and backwards cards), then send over my wifi to iAnki

joschua011, hate never got anyone anything. Lets be positive and make things work rather than putting people down.

The Skritter Gods put up with unbelievable amounts of customer crap. They deserve a round of applause.

george   May 31st, 2010 1:25a.m.

Hey Joshua, sorry to hear about the frustration. We keep toying with the idea of making an iPhone app, but the overhead is just enormous. It's probably one of our most requested features but we would have to halt a lot of other development efforts to work on it, and as Nick mentioned, it may not even be possible to optimize it enough. I would personally love to see an iPhone version, and if you're too frustrated with the non-mobile-ness of Skritter, let me know and I can stop or refund your subscription. We want to make sure everyone is getting good value from their money and I'm sorry if we gave the impression that an iPhone app would definitely be completed in the near future.

@Dan and @Thomas, thanks for responding to this before I could get to it, we really appreciate it!

Hobbes828   May 31st, 2010 2:44a.m.

AnkiMobile is out! http://ichi2.net/anki/wiki/AnkiMobile

costs money, but should be much more feature-filled than smart.fm and easier to set up with more features than iAnki

Don't use it myself though, at least not yet :)

雅各   May 31st, 2010 4:39a.m.

I don't even think a skritter iPhone app would have to have hand-writing, even if it was just flash cards + sync with skritter that would be enough for me (:

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!