Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Android Froyo

mykè   June 1st, 2010 11:44a.m.

Hi everybody!
I know that Skritter's mobile compatibility is an age-old matter of this forum, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried to load the website on the new Froyo release. And, by the way, what about the compatibility with the 2.1 version.
I've the intention to buy a Nexus One, but I want to be sure of my choice since the Skritter's availability will be the only feature determining whether or not I'll buy it.
Thanks! ^_^

nick   June 1st, 2010 12:04p.m.

My test version works on Froyo (Nexus One), and it looks like performance is going to be okay! I still have to sort out the interface to fit the mobile screen better and try to tweak the point-tracking so that it adapts to the finger, but I do anticipate solving those soon.

So yes, it's a good choice. Skritter should be Froyo-ready sometime in the next few weeks if all goes well.

Lurks   June 1st, 2010 7:11p.m.

2.1 doesn't have flash so that's never going to work. Well, unless you have the HTC (Desire?) that shipped with Flash. It might be too slow though.

The Froyo that was released was a test version seemingly, and it had some issues that caused me to revert to 2.1. Since HTC are slated to release Froyo on the 20-something, presumably Google's N1 version will be before that. So it's not long now for the real thing.

ZachH   June 2nd, 2010 2:04p.m.

I have an HTC Desire, but I've been in China since I bought it so I haven't really invested time into figuring out how to do cool stuff and I run it mostly as it came because I have no wifi at home and no 3G with China mobile. (I bought it for its utility after I leave the mainland)

I'm running
firmware: 2.1-update1
browser: WebKit 3.1

I'll run a test of skritter next time I go out to a place with Wifi. If any of you want me to test anything else I could do that too.

nick   June 2nd, 2010 3:27p.m.

ZachH, when you test Skritter, test at 8.latest.skrit.appspot.com/demo -- I haven't switched the point tracking to work on the live version of the site.

ZachH   June 9th, 2010 9:28a.m.

Hi, posting from phone. Nick the link you gave me just stays loading, can't get to the testing. The normal site loads but as Nick hinted the pointer has some problems, you can mark as incorrect, use show and move the pointer around though. When you try to draw a stroke the phone scrolls the page. I can't really comment on speed until it actually starts working.

nick   June 9th, 2010 10:15a.m.

Oh, it's that darned firewall again. On the normal site, if you double-click on the Flash, does it stop scrolling the page on drag? (It would also not be able to write unless I change this point-tracking code in a certain way.)

ZachH   June 11th, 2010 12:22p.m.

I guess firewall problems are better than phone problems. A double click on the flash stops the scrolling. But cuts out everything not in the flash window including pinyin and timer. How has your own testing been going? Is the speed okay?

nick   June 17th, 2010 5:59p.m.

I've been too sick to do more on this, but it's still a high priority. It will require some optimization, so we'll see.

SGRuixue   July 29th, 2010 1:33p.m.

I know ChinesePod has an android app with flash card capabilities. It only allows for reading. Is it possible to have something like that in the mean time?

jww1066   July 29th, 2010 2:18p.m.

It's already pretty close to usable for definitions and tones; I haven't tried it for readings. See the discussion here:

http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=39907617&comments=10

James

PlutonB   July 29th, 2010 4:54p.m.

For those who don't have an android phone, like me, I can recommend studying definitions and tones with Skyfire. Works like a charm really!

SGRuixue   July 30th, 2010 10:08a.m.

unfortunately my Cliq is saying Flash isn't compatible with my phone. Any other options?

jww1066   July 30th, 2010 2:42p.m.

What version of Android are you running? Flash is available in 2.2 and later.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!