Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

呆/獃

ebp0   June 9th, 2010 12:25a.m.

Hi

I'm currently learning hanzi using Heisig's method on Remembering Traditional Hanzi. but when I went ahead to practice the characters on skritter, for the character 呆 it only let me practice it in it's traditional form 獃. Any ideas?

ebp0   June 9th, 2010 12:41a.m.

I also noticed Chapter 10 has 田 instead of 苗.

Byzanti   June 9th, 2010 4:39a.m.

MDBG suggests 獃 is a variant of 呆, rather than the traditional form. Both characters are seemingly acceptable in traditional and simplified. Perhaps 獃 is more common in one territory than another, I don't know.

nick   June 9th, 2010 10:21a.m.

Right, I've got the removing of 獃 as a traditional for 呆 on my list, as it does appear to be an obsolete variant. I do these in big batches because they're such a pain.

I've changed 田 to 苗 in that list. Wow, the new list editor made that a lot more pleasant than using the old one!

ebp0   June 9th, 2010 10:49a.m.

How can I do that? because every time I add 呆 and validate it, 獃 is shown as added to the list.
呆 is the correct character on RTH Chapter 10, not 獃.

nick   June 9th, 2010 11:05a.m.

Right, I haven't fixed 呆 yet. I'm waiting for some time where I can do a whole bunch of them at once.

pts   June 9th, 2010 11:12a.m.

In Taiwan, both 獃 and 呆 exist and the meaning of 呆 is broader than that of 獃. According to the dictionary provided by the MOE, 獃 means 痴愚 while 呆 means 痴愚、笨傻; 反應不靈敏; 發愣; 表情死板、神志恍惚. I consider them as different words.

But in the Mainland, 獃 and 騃 have been eliminated and replaced by 呆 since the publication of the 《第一批异体字整理表》in 1955. So the character 呆 now actually represents any one of the 3 traditional characters, 呆、獃 or 騃 .

nick   June 9th, 2010 11:20a.m.

Ah! Then I'll do it that way. Variants, man.

pts, when I get ready to update the variant mapping again, may I contact you with some questions about ones that I can't definitively figure out on my own? You're a lot better at this than I am.

pts   June 9th, 2010 1:34p.m.

You are more than welcome. I’m happy to help in any way I can.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!