Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Hidden pinyin

stelingo   June 19th, 2010 3:35p.m.

I bought a new notebook a couple of days ago. I have pinyin hidden when practising, but now find that I can no longer reveal the pinyin if I need to. Whereas before there was a white square to click on and reveal, now there is nothing. Help please.

nick   June 19th, 2010 4:06p.m.

Those show bubbles don't work at all in IE7--are you sure it's a new notebook? Otherwise it's probably a new issue I don't know about. What browser is it?

stelingo   June 19th, 2010 5:02p.m.

Well of course I'm sure it's a new notebook. I bought it myself. I'm using IE8.

Byzanti   June 19th, 2010 5:47p.m.

Not helpful in the sense it doesn't resolve your IE8 issue, but do give Chrome a shot. It should run Skritter faster (especially v4, at least on OSX).

nick   June 19th, 2010 6:09p.m.

It might be set to compatibility view for some reason and is rendering like IE7. Can you check whether compatibility view is on when you're on the practice page? The icon looks like this, and you can hover over it:
http://www.bfinternet.co.uk/news-info/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ie8_compatibility.jpg

Sorry, I was trying to make a joke about a new notebook somehow coming with IE7, but of course it wouldn't!

stelingo   June 20th, 2010 9:26a.m.

That solved the problem Nick, thanks a lot. And thanks for your tip Byzanti.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!