Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Getting skritter box size down to handwriting size?

雅各   June 24th, 2010 6:45p.m.

Does anyone know a way to get the skritter handwriting box down to a size where the wacom tablet writing area is closer in size to real hand writing?

I feel it would:
1) Improve my handwriting.
2) Be faster to write.

NB: I am on a mac, so there are no fancy control panel settings to play with.

Byzanti   June 25th, 2010 3:50a.m.

System preferences --> Pen tablet --> Details (Pen Mode) --> Tablet Area (Portion).

Mac does have these settings! (If not, there's probably a dmg on the Wacom site or somesuch).

klutz14159   June 28th, 2010 8:10p.m.

For those with tablets, you're kind of out of luck. I turn on raw squig mode and just end up writing characters at one third to one half size.

Lurks   June 28th, 2010 8:25p.m.

You're not out of luck, you can reduce the amount of pad you use. I'm using about a quarter of the pad which, on a 1920x1080 screen, ends up with characters being written about the size of a thumb nail.

雅各   June 29th, 2010 5:16a.m.

Wish I had have known that when I first bought it, i could have bought the cheaper smaller one (:

klutz14159   June 29th, 2010 7:07a.m.

oops, sorry, I meant tablet computer. I guess I need to get out of the naughties and into the tens and start referring to tablet PCs as pad computers...

nick   June 29th, 2010 11:45a.m.

There's also the 250px canvas size option in the practice settings. And if you're on a tablet PC and that's still not small enough, you can try zooming out on the page (Ctrl -).

klutz14159   June 29th, 2010 9:05p.m.

Cool, the firefox 3.6 zoom mode works well for shrinking the canvas size. I could've swore I tried this many moons ago with an older browser and ended up with offset weirdness.

klutz14159   June 29th, 2010 9:48p.m.

This is cooler than cool. I got my canvas down to 150 pixels at 1" square. I can now maintain some serious speed since the recognition of all the hard strokes by position is kicking in. Massive reduction in stroke repetition due to recognition failures. And I got FatDragon's skinny squigs to boot.

Only downside is that the grading buttons are miniscule and the word definitions and mnemonics are next to unreadable. oh well, now I don't have to worry about strange mnemonics catching my eye... :-)

雅各   July 3rd, 2010 12:30p.m.

Last time I tried the shrinking the browser page thing it definitely screwed things up. I found out this time if you shrink your browser page BEFORE going to the practice page, it doesnt have a problem. This is definitely an improvement! But yes the grading things are slightly more annoying now.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!