Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Some words never coming up when cramming list

muir   June 30th, 2010 6:51a.m.

I have been making some lists for a new book I am studying, but when I cram the list (from the link at the bottom of the list section editor), there are some words that seem to never come up. I just made a list of 10 items, and after cycling through 8 of the items many times, the other 2 still never came up. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Something else I noticed is that with the list editor if you close a "adding new definition..." progress alert popup (because it seems to have timed out, or something), it will replace the current list item with the item you were previously editing, leaving you with duplicate list items and one missing item.

One last thing is that for some lists the "Add Definition" link still shows up for some items, but the item already has a definition (if I try to add one, it gives me an error). An example is "奉為圭臬" in one of my lists.

tunghiem2010   June 30th, 2010 4:55p.m.

You need to add them all to your vocab list ( the green plus button) before you practice. Otherwise, it will only be added until after you have satisfied whatever setting (in the option page) you have for adding new words to your comprehensive vocab list. So if you haven't really "learned" (in skritter's term), Skritter won't add new words from the cram list unless you manually ask it to.

At least that's what I think.

nick   June 30th, 2010 6:28p.m.

tunghiem2010 may have it. If adding was enabled, it would have added those words when you cleared any reviews that were due for the list. If it wasn't enabled, that's the problem. Otherwise, I think the problem is that the two items are much less ready for review than the other ones.

I've made some changes to account for this in section practice, to dampen the SRS and make older items come up more frequently, but I didn't apply it to list practice (which here you're using as section practice since the list has only one short section). I'll add some of the effect in for the list practice, too, and it should help somewhat.

I'll leave the other two for Scott.

scott   July 8th, 2010 7:20p.m.

Sorry it took a while to get to these bugs. I managed to fix the zombie "Add Definition" bug, but still need to take a look at the definition being replaced bug. Will do that first thing tomorrow.

scott   July 9th, 2010 3:01p.m.

I can't seem to reproduce the bug where it ends up leaving you with duplicate list items and one missing item. Could you describe in more detail how you get that to happen, and which browser/OS you're using?

muir   July 10th, 2010 10:49p.m.

Using Safari 5.0 on Mac OS X 10.6.4, I clicked on the add definition (or add entry, I forget which one) for a word and successfully added the definition. Then I tried submitting a definition for the next word, but the popup window just hung around for a while (a couple minutes), so I decided to close it with the little 'x' and try again. After closing it, though, that word in my list was replaced by the previous word I had successfully added a definition for.

scott   July 28th, 2010 11:42a.m.

Whoa, this bug fell to the wayside.

I tried to reproduce it but I was unsuccessful. A number of changes have been made since then though. Let me know if it shows up again and I'll take another look.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!