Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Partial nuke?

FatDragon   July 5th, 2010 9:12p.m.

I'm bad with definitions, particularly character definitions. Because I've used definitions as a half-reading half-definitions exercise, and because I generally don't take enough time on them and grade myself too generously, I've got a lot of definitions "known" that I don't know.

So is there any way I could nuke definitions and only definitions? I definitely want to keep the writing and tones, and I think it would be pretty easy to push the definitions I really do know back out of the way with 4's, but there's a lot of stuff I need to work on, and this seems like it might be the best way to go about it. If I can't do this, are there any other suggestions for dealing with definitions (aside from grading myself more strictly on new stuff that comes up)?

mcfarljw   July 5th, 2010 10:05p.m.

Yes, if you ask the Skritter gods they can do it for you manually.

jww1066   July 5th, 2010 10:10p.m.

You could try turning off everything but definitions and pausing all your lists. Then once you go through your "due" list you will start getting items that are due further and further in the future.

rgwatwormhill   July 6th, 2010 4:40p.m.

If you know what characters they are, you could just add new words that include those characters, and be stricter next time.
Rachael.

scott   July 6th, 2010 8:40p.m.

Well, let's see. One option is to just leave the scheduling the way it is and deal with the definitions as they come. Start grading yourself more harshly right now, and as you come across definitions that are scheduled too far out, you mark them wrong and they'll show up more often. It will take a while, but perhaps that's best since then you won't be inundated.

If you want to rush along the study of definitions so you can grade them harshly, you could study sections from lists you've added. That will force the study of those words and give you the chance to mark the definitions wrong earlier rather than later.

The benefit of doing these two things is you don't have to re-add all the words. If we nuked your definitions, you would have to go back to your lists and reset them to start adding from the beginning again.

I could, however, manually decrease all the review intervals for your definitions and make sure they're all scheduled in the near future (like over the next few months or over the next few weeks, whichever you'd prefer). But hopefully some combination of the first two ideas will do the trick!

FatDragon   July 7th, 2010 12:36a.m.

I've been pretty absent from Skritter lately thanks to travelling, so I haven't really done anything about this yet. I'll try the harsher definitions grading first, and I guess that I should eventually manage to balance out the stuff that I've had trouble with. I just need to remember that remembering the pinyin doesn't count for any definition points - I think that was a big part of the trouble I've had with definitions.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!