Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Question about duplicates and a vocabulary search bar

jiangxu   July 13th, 2010 11:06a.m.

First, it would be really nice if there were a search bar in the vocabulary section. It'd let you see your progress on a certain word, but more importantly, it would let you delete words that you don't want to see. An example of this would be the "啊“ ”哦“ ”哦“ ”哎“ sort of words that you need to know how to read but will never need to write.

Also, in a situation where you need to know the differences between words and perhaps add a bit more of a nuanced definition it would be helpful to search by character or word. For example 规定, 规律, 规则.

Second question. If there are duplicates in your set, will skritter notify you? What's the procedure for it?

Thanks.
蒋旭

PS. on the reminder email there is a space missing in "You've practiced for six hours and 46 minutesthis week (7/07 - 7/13)."

Also the wording is really awkward in the email(I know its in beta). I'm not entirely sure what the following quotation is actually telling me. "You reviewed 272 items, so that's 89.7 seconds per item."

jiangxu   July 13th, 2010 11:16a.m.

Just noted the post below. Guess it should go into an FAQ...

Took a look through the forum last night and thought the question should be asked, guess I got beat to the punch.

scott   July 13th, 2010 12:19p.m.

In terms of searching a section, can you use your browser search function to do that? I think the standard shortcut for all browsers (or at least the ones I use) is Ctrl-F. Then you should be able to quickly find the word you want to get to, if you know it's there.

It sounds like you're asking for a general search as well, one that you use to find any given word, not within the context of a list or something like that? It's on my list to make a search for our dictionary; we're going to be doing features later though because we have a fair amount of usability and bug fixes to do first.

Oliver's working on tweaking the emails so I've made sure he sees your comments. Thanks!

Byzanti   July 13th, 2010 12:38p.m.

If you want to check Skritter's definition for a word you can go to the Queue and type the word, just not choose to add. http://www.skritter.com/vocab/queue

Although, for the most part, the definition Skritter uses will be similar to that of mdbg. http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php

nick   July 13th, 2010 12:58p.m.

I've added it to the FAQ; good call.

jiangxu   July 13th, 2010 10:41p.m.

To put it a bit better. It'd be nice if you could search the vocabulary that is either in one of the lists your studying or imported via the bookmarklet feature.

Checking definitions isn't really what I need, nciku, wenlin or whatever are just as good.

It'd just be nice to be able to search either by character or group of characters. I gave the reason above. Successfully differentiating similar words, sometimes adding a bit on to the definition.

jiangxu   July 15th, 2010 6:15a.m.

Sorry for the mass posts. New user... In conjunction with the same idea of editing definition. I've noticed that the only place to edit definitions seems to only be allowed in two situations.

1. When the word comes up during practice
2. When you input a word and the definition is not available.

I'm trying to input 标致(handsome, pretty) into my word list, and the definition that comes up is Peugeot(Car Maker). I'm not really sure how to change it without waiting for the word to come up in the queue. Am I right about this?

nick   July 15th, 2010 10:34a.m.

We'll be adding something very soon that allows you to do this. Basically, Maksym has massively riced up the word popup that you see when you click the magnifying glass on the practice page, combined it with the individual item status page you see when you click on the characters in the vocab lists, and thrown in a few other neat things, including the ability to edit your definitions and mnemonics there. Once its testing is done, that'll do what you want.

For now, I've added the other definition to that 标致.

jiangxu   July 15th, 2010 12:10p.m.

Sounds good good. Thanks for the quick help on that individual word.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!