Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Things you wish you would have known?

icecream   July 17th, 2010 10:02p.m.

I took a semester of Thai when I was in college to prepare me for studying abroad. I was averaging a 3.8 GPA at the time so I thought it would be another class I could put on cruise control. I was wrong. Instead, it was the worst academic experience of my life. The class was credit/no credit and I wouldn’t even get a credit.

The problem I had was that I was memorizing useless transliterations – like Pinyin for Thai – to pass the quizzes. This was fine for the first couple of weeks but then it suddenly became apparent: I wasn’t learning anything valuable. Nobody in Thailand could read what I was writing; I couldn’t even read what I was writing. By the time I figured out that I had to use brute memorization to learn their alphabet – actually an abugida – to get anywhere, it was already too late. I had fallen too far behind.

The experience itself was invaluable – even though ego took a beating – and I did learn an important lesson: Learn the native script.

BTW: Thai shares some vocabulary with Mandarin.

skritterjohan   July 19th, 2010 4:10a.m.

I am not sure whether this was an invitation for us all to contribute things we wished we had known, but I guess it was, so here goes:

In Skritter you can grade a character by doing 1-3 on your numpad, even for characters you have not written yet. This allows you to skip writing 好 or 學 for the umptieth time.

esther   July 19th, 2010 9:19a.m.

Great hint,Skritterjohan.It makes me really faster.

nick   July 19th, 2010 11:56a.m.

I wish I'd known about spaced repetition when I was in school. I would have thrown all sorts of things into Anki and remembered the stuff I spent so much time learning in classes rather than forgetting it all five seconds after the class ended.

murrayjames   July 19th, 2010 11:27p.m.

Nick +2

skritterjohan   July 20th, 2010 6:03a.m.

Yeah SRS really rocks.

贺知宝   July 29th, 2010 2:54p.m.

Are schools beginning to use SRS? I studied Chinese for 5 years in a school setting and I honestly think that I could have learned the same amount of characters with skritter in a couple months.

icecream   July 30th, 2010 6:42p.m.

"Are schools beginning to use SRS?"
In depends on your definition of "SRS". Educational philosophy varies among school districts and between countries but I think most do some version of it. It just might not be to the level of sophistication and detail that Skritter taken it to.

"I studied Chinese for 5 years in a school setting and I honestly think that I could have learned the same amount of characters with skritter in a couple months."

Maybe you just weren't a good student? Don't get me wrong -- especially since I agree with your statement -- but I do wonder if I am losing something by not being in front of a live Chinese person. I have learned a lot of characters lately but that's just one dimension of the culture. There are intangibles -- like interacting with Chinese students -- that you can't get by sitting in front of a computer.

jww1066   July 30th, 2010 7:45p.m.

@icecream If there aren't many Chinese people who live near you, you can find language exchange partners pretty easily on the Internet (using Skype or whatever).

@pharchik I believe some schools are starting to look into it.

icecream   July 30th, 2010 9:30p.m.

My main goal is to be able to read Chinese characters not to communicate with Chinese people. I was just trying to show a different perspective.

Japanese girls > Chinese girls

Foo Choo Choon   July 31st, 2010 3:34a.m.

@icecream

Let us 实事求是, let us use techniques of 科学发展 to test your hypothesis.

Your hypothesis:
H0: "Japanese girls > Chinese girls"

According to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16334998, urban Chinese females, 17 years old, have an average height of 1.586 m (5 ft 2 1⁄2 in). Japanese females, 19 years old, have a height of 1.580 m (5 ft 2 in) (http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/houdou/19/10/07092511/007/002.xls).

I would argue that, due to differences in sampling techniques and relatively small n, this difference is statistically insignificant. You may proceed with the calculation of a confidence interval.
Obviously, if there was any significance, it would show that the mean of Chinese young women's height exceeds the corresponding Japanese mean.

Byzanti   July 31st, 2010 5:27a.m.

heh.

icecream   July 31st, 2010 8:43a.m.

That's too funny... You have a point.

我觉得日本女孩比中国女孩漂亮

^^ I used Google translate to get that sentence. ^^

It looks right, and I recognize most of the characters, but I don't know if it translates into what I am trying to say: I think Japanese girls are prettier than Chinese girls.

贺知宝   July 31st, 2010 9:31a.m.

@icecream: of course there are many dimensions to learning a language. That is why some of my Chinese teachers in the past "knew" 8000 words in english (for testing purposes) but couldn't understand or speak a lick. If you look at my post, I was referring specifically to the writing of characters. The countless hours of flash cards and scrap paper that could be done on skritter in minutes.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!