Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Basic questions

jcdoss   July 21st, 2010 11:56a.m.

I have two for today.

1. What is the definition for "characters learned" as depicted in the graphs on the progress page? For instance, for today, I have apparently "learned" 6 characters from today's practice so far. What threshhold did I cross to transform an unlearned character into a learned one?

2. I have toggled on somewhere to study individual hanzi when I enter words containing 2+ hanzi. This is fine, but I'm wondering if I could get those individual hanzi to show up in the exports I've been making? I like to keep an offline list for quick reference, and these characters don't seem to show up.

Thanks!

Byzanti   July 21st, 2010 12:13p.m.

Characters learnt are those you have successfully repeated after a 12 hour period.

I find individual hanzi do appear in exports... Much to my dismay (and this is where I only study them in the words themselves). Eg, a snippit from the last two words I did:

抓住 zhua1zhu4 catch; seize; grasp; grip; 美国 _ _ 了几个俄罗斯间谍。
住 zhu4 to live; reside; to stop
抓 zhua1 to carry in your hand holding strongly; to catch; to arrest
挖苦 wa1ku3 ridicule; speak sarcastically; make ironical remarks; _ _ 人
苦 ku3 bitter; miserable

scott   July 21st, 2010 12:23p.m.

How well you know a word is measured based on how long you go between reviews. The shorter the review time, the less you know it. Once your review time is greater than 12 hours, it's considered learned.

The default review time for an unknown item is 2 minutes. With steady review you usually get to the learned point within a day.

Currently there's no way to export the way you describe, but I've got on my list to do an upgrade to the export system. I'll see if I can add an option to do what you describe.

scott   July 21st, 2010 12:25p.m.

Beat me to the punch Byzanti!

Actually the upgrade on my list I mentioned is to make it possible to filter your exports to either just words or characters. Perhaps it was you that requested it? It's been on my to do list since April, but I forget where it came from.

jcdoss   July 21st, 2010 12:34p.m.

Thanks for the speedy reply, guys!

And yes, I'd love to be able to toggle on "Export Characters and Words" as an option sometime in the future.

jcdoss   August 17th, 2010 8:57p.m.

A follow-up question... have you ever considered allowing the user to edit the time required before a word is considered "learned?"

I'm learning right now that, at least with my Mandarin, words I've "learned" are not as "learned" as I as they should be in order to be classified as "learned." (In other words, I'm forgetting a lot. hehehe) Suppose I could set the review time to two weeks... Words I know after that long would surely be in my long-term working vocabulary and would be much closer to "learned" than simply having slept on it once.

Thanks for all your work!

jww1066   August 17th, 2010 10:58p.m.

@scott I would also very much like to be able to filter out individual characters from the export. I do something like that manually now.

nick   August 18th, 2010 7:47a.m.

The "learned" threshold is arbitrary, and short. But, if you set it to be much longer, your progress stats would be much less responsive, so that's the tradeoff.

We may lengthen the "learned" threshold, but to do so we might have to go back and rekerjigger everyone's progress data. Wouldn't do to change it on a per-user basis.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!