Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Question on grading system

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   August 17th, 2010 6:24p.m.

So I never really stopped to think about it until just now,

When I'm doing word writings, and I forget the character in the word-- I usually reveal the individual character's definition,

I know a lot more characters by definition than how words are strung together, and so a lot of the word writings it's counting all the characters as correct, and so therefor the word writings

Should I click "Dont know" On the word writings even if am completely familiar with how the character is written? Would that make the single character count as forgotton, Or just make the Word Reading count as forgotton-- and not affect the individual characters that were counted wrong in the word?

Byzanti   August 17th, 2010 6:57p.m.

Perfect sense. If I don't know the word, but know the characters, it's an absolute red. This is the benefit of hide pinyin!

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   August 17th, 2010 8:16p.m.

silly question but,
there's no reason why that method would be different between the two languages right?

jww1066   August 17th, 2010 11:01p.m.

Yeah, what Byzanti said. This is why the Skritter Gods gave us the ability to mark the word as wrong even if we wrote all the characters correctly.

I don't see why it would be different, but I don't know anything about Japanese except that it is DAMN HARD.

James

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   August 18th, 2010 2:02a.m.

thanks guys

I thought chinese was 10x harder than japanese!

Can a word be considered "more wrong" than another based on the ratio of how many characters were wrong?

if i "cheated" and knew how to write all the characters in a word based on reading each english definition of the kanji- should just the very last character in the word be the one that's marked wrong so that the whole word is counted wrong?

sorry to Waaay overthink this..

Byzanti   August 18th, 2010 3:56a.m.

Easy rule - if I don't know it, it gets marked as red. Even if it's weeks/months down the line. Be wary of marking yellow. That just means you have to wait the same time to see it again, and if you don't know it the first time, you wont know it the second.

I don't know about Japanese, but in Chinese you can mark the characters right, but the whole word wrong. That's what I (and James, I think) tend to do. Look for a traffic light button that isn't in the flash applet.

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   August 18th, 2010 12:55p.m.

(deleted)

nick   August 18th, 2010 1:02p.m.

Skritter will do things like this automatically when I build it later (it's been planned for a long time); I just haven't done it yet. It is complicated to do well.

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   August 18th, 2010 1:45p.m.

(deleted)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!