Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Please stop putting characters and radicals in mnemonics

ahickey   September 21st, 2010 8:36a.m.

Can people please stop putting complete characters or radicals in the shared mnemonics? This completely ruins their functionality for everyone else.

nick   September 21st, 2010 9:13a.m.

There was a thread on this before where I suggested this, only to realize that some people do prefer having them in there. If you want to use a mnemonic that has the components in there, you could copy it and strip them out.

It probably is too much to expect to be able to look at the whole shared mnemonics list without being given the answer, if you're picking a mnemonic for the first time.

Aaron Dolman   September 21st, 2010 9:56a.m.

but if the character or radical is there, doesn't it just defeat the point of having the mnemonics? cos surely if you see the character your going to mark it as wrong right?

isn't the idea of mnemonics to give you a clue? not the answer?

nick   September 21st, 2010 10:10a.m.

Some people use them as hints when they are prompted with a character, and for those people, the mnemonics with components in there wouldn't be appropriate. Others try to remember the mnemonic and either check it afterward if they can't, or they are going to mark it wrong anyway if they had to check the mnemonic. Just different styles.

Foo Choo Choon   September 21st, 2010 10:11a.m.

I never look at mnemonics to give me a clue or hint, i.e. before drawing it. Instead, I try to remember mnemonics in order to help me the next time I come across the same character.

Mnemonics aren't shown by default any more, so I don't see why I should change the way I use mnemonics.

Foo Choo Choon   September 21st, 2010 10:14a.m.

哎,想法相同。

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!