Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Hiragana + Katakana Practise...

itaju   November 9th, 2010 12:57p.m.

Hey, I'd like to know if there is a simple way to learn the Hiragana and Katakana characters via Skritter _before_ getting into writing real words. The add-word-to-que function doesn't seem to work... I am very disappointed about this as this would be the most basic tool for learning Japanese...

If there is already an option, please let me know, maybe I'm too stupid, maybe it's too hard to find.

jww1066   November 9th, 2010 1:11p.m.
itaju   November 9th, 2010 1:22p.m.

Okay, seems Skritter's service has lost some of my enthusiasm... japanese without katakana and hiragana you shouldn't offer it without them.

I'm glad I'm also stuyding chinese which would make up for that...

I hope you bring up those japanese characters fast :)

Bohan   November 9th, 2010 5:51p.m.

I memorized hiragana and katakana a year and a half ago, and I kept up with it for a long time, but since there are 142 of Kana symbols combined, it's really easy to forget/misread them sooner or later.

It's really too bad that Skritter can't be used for Kana. I think Skritter would be perfect for mastering those two alphabets for both the short and long term.

葛修远   November 10th, 2010 11:59a.m.

I seem to remember the guys saying that hiragana and katakana are too cursive for Skritter, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

In the meantime, Anki!

itaju   November 10th, 2010 12:18p.m.

I don't get it why there are thousands of chinese characters but no technical way to implement those 100+ hiragana+katakanas. some of them are even nearly the same like hanzi. エ ロ カ ル ハ to name some.

scott   November 12th, 2010 5:06p.m.

The katakana would not be as much of a problem as the hiragana, though it would take a bit of work to put them in (the method for adding additional strokes is a bit time consuming!). The hiragana are fairly cursive, and the system was not built for that kind of curvature. So basically, katakana would take a while, and hiragana would take a very long time indeed, because we'd have to remake or change quite a bit the underlying stroke recognition system.

It's still on the list to make a tweak to the system so that hiragana and katakana can be practiced as simple flash cards, so that at least they can be studied as part of the Skritter system. Can't say when exactly that will be done!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!