Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Great beginners resource on chinese phonetics

Yagebu   November 9th, 2010 10:21a.m.

http://lost-theory.org/chinese/phonetics/

I came across this website with a table with the 400 or so chinese syllables. Perhaps you've already seen it, however what makes this great is that you can click on each syllable and hear what it sounds like. It might be a bit basic for many of you, however I thought I'd share it anyway and perhaps some beginners like me out there find it just as useful.

Perhaps someone knows a good resource that also teaches you HOW to pronouce these syllables. So far I haven't been able to find one. Our teacher has explained it to us but I still seem to have some issues with it and I would need to have some tangible source of reference and unfortunately our book only has a table like the one above but without any explanations.

Best wishes,
Yagebu

jww1066   November 9th, 2010 11:39a.m.

Try http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Chinese which has extensive phonetics instruction.

Yagebu   November 9th, 2010 12:25p.m.

Fantastic! If you right click on the player it gives you an option of downloading it as an mp3. I am getting an iphone in short and will definately try to get it on there so that I can study chinese during the Christmas holidays. However, I am not sure if iphone playes mp3's (?)

I did some digging and also found the course textbook for anyone interested: http://ia341332.us.archive.org/3/items/FSI-StandardChinese-StudentTexts/

jww1066   November 9th, 2010 1:09p.m.

All the textbooks are also available on http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Chinese

Look for the links that say "Text".

Yagebu   November 9th, 2010 2:30p.m.

Thank you for the heads up :)

Yagebu   November 9th, 2010 4:09p.m.

So I have had a go with listening to the course and I decided to go straight for what I am having the most difficulty with, namely the so called Affricates (tape 3, display II):

Unaspirated-aspirated

Zhang4-Chang4
Jiang4-Qiang4
Zang4-Cang4

I think I have managed to pin down the difference between the first two pairs (Zh-Ch & J-Q) but the last pair (Z-C) is really causing me difficulties.

The speaker on the tape says that both start at the "dental" position, meaning having your tounge almost against your teeth. Then she says that both should be pronounced like ts but since Zang4 is unaspirated it means that you won't hear the s. Does this mean that Zang4 should be pronounced like a chinese T but without the aspiration? Anyone know of an english word that could help me pronounce Zang4 and Cang4?

jww1066   November 9th, 2010 4:21p.m.

@Yagebu It's kind of like the "z" in "pizza", which is to say, it's like a "ts" sound. The difference between z and c is that c is aspirated while z is not. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin#Pronunciation_of_initials

James

蓓蕾   November 9th, 2010 4:56p.m.

This is speaking from an American accent, but there are words in English that have these sounds.

I would say the 'z' sounds like the final sound in the word like 'pills' or 'men's' while the 'c' sounds like the final sound in words like 'cats'.

One trick is to begin by simply tacking on the the Chinese final to one of these words. For example, try saying 'pillz-ang' vs. 'cats-ang'. I'm sure you will notice a difference in your pronunciation. Then take off the first syllable.

Yagebu   November 9th, 2010 5:07p.m.

I think "pizza" is an accurate phonetical transcription. So we have an r-sound with the tongue curled back for Zh-Ch, an i-sound for J-Q and a "pizza" sound for Z-C. Or if you will simply retroflex, palatal and dental.

The thing I am still unsure about with Z-C is how to get the pizza sound to be unaspirated with Z. I don't feel like I can do it without at least a small flow of air coming out of my mouth. However, I am not sure whether it has to be "airless" for it to be unaspirated. Is it ok with a little bit of air?

I understand if it is difficult for you to understand my questions and even more difficult to explain in words. But thanks for trying :)

In any case, tomrrow I will ask some people in my class and see if they have figured out how to pronounce Z.

Yagebu   November 9th, 2010 5:13p.m.

My last post was in response to James post.

@蓓蕾, that was well explained and I think I understand the difference now. To me Z as in men's and pills almost sounds like st while C sound more like ts. What do you think?

Yagebu   November 9th, 2010 5:15p.m.

Also, with C it feels like I am building pressure and then releasing it while with Z the pressure before letting go is less. Would you agree with this?

jww1066   November 9th, 2010 6:29p.m.

I think the main issue is making sure that your 'c' is aspirated, at least compared to your 'z', so you do want a strong puff of air. The difference (to my ear) is fairly exaggerated in Chinese, as with Chinese 'b' and 'p'. If you put your hand in front of your mouth, see if you feel a puff of air coming out. Or put a light piece of paper over your mouth and see if it moves.

arp   November 9th, 2010 10:01p.m.

There's an excellent series on Chinesepod.com, but not sure you can get it if you're not subscribed to it.

shinyspoons   November 10th, 2010 7:50a.m.

John Pasden, one of the teachers on chinesepod, has some good stuff on his website - http://www.sinosplice.com/learn-chinese/pronunciation-of-mandarin-chinese

Byzanti   November 10th, 2010 9:19a.m.

Well, I always imagine the c sound to be more like ts. Seems to work for me! I wouldn't say the z and c sounds are close at all. Others are much closer. My zheng zhang are too close for comfort. How do others pronounce this? the ang just feels like a longer eng to me.

west316   November 10th, 2010 9:39a.m.

The A in the ang has a much more open mouth for me. The tongue also drops down low for the eng but stays up moderately high for the A. I feel pressure on my lower front jaw when saying the eng. I don't for the ang.

I don't know if that is of help or not, but that is how my mouth does it.

Byzanti   November 10th, 2010 9:59a.m.

That's a good tip there with the tongue lowered. It feels a bit unnatural and exaggerated at the moment, but there's certainly more of an eng sound to it. Thanks :).

Yagebu   November 11th, 2010 12:23a.m.

Chinese pod seems like a great self-study website from what I've heard but as I am already studying a course I won't sign up for it at this time.

However, I found the website that Shinyspoons gave to be extremely helpful. It deals with the linguistics rather than trying to find equivalent pronounciations in english. I'd say a more scientific approach that leaves less room for missconception.

shinyspoons   November 11th, 2010 7:28a.m.

@Yagebu if you want, drop me an email here - shinyspoons@yahoo.co.uk - and i will send you a computer program that will take you through each sound,explaining how it is pronounced and giving pictures to show where you tongue goes.

Yagebu   November 11th, 2010 3:38p.m.

Thank you, that would be fantastic! I have sent you an email.

HappyBlue 善卿   November 12th, 2010 5:15p.m.

@ShinySpoons
Is that program available anywhere? I'm sure that many people would be interested in that sort of thing as our Western mouths can struggle with the Eastern sounds! :) I guess you don't want to be mailing the program out to everyone one at a time!

jww1066   November 12th, 2010 5:44p.m.

There's also an Anki deck "Pronounced Mandarin Chinese Pinyin" which I've found very helpful. I find that "c" vs. "z" isn't my problem, it's "in/an" vs. "ing/ang" and second tone vs. third tone.

shinyspoons   November 12th, 2010 8:19p.m.

@HappyBlue I got it from a friend who got it from a book store in Beijing. Its called Interactive Chinese (互动汉语) by Sinalingua. drop me an email since I've already done it once it it shouldn't take to long to send it again

shinyspoons   November 12th, 2010 8:21p.m.

sorry that should be Sinolingua

daxiongmao   November 16th, 2010 7:54p.m.

I think it helps if you consider the Z sound to be more like a ds. It sure helps me. :)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!