Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

read sentence

franco111222   November 12th, 2010 5:26a.m.

What do you think about the idea to have different reading modes to choose from, when the character has been written?

Mode 1 = only character
Mode 2 = only the sample sentence
Mode 3 = both

balsa   November 12th, 2010 5:39a.m.

(deleted)

franco111222   November 12th, 2010 8:25a.m.

additional input taking no additional time. The effect is repetition and the character has more neurons it can drill itself into. The effect is similar to what happens when writing in skritter.

nick   November 12th, 2010 8:27a.m.

Can you describe more what kind of prompt you're talking about? I'm not sure I understand.

franco111222   November 13th, 2010 10:40a.m.

I donĀ“t mean a prompt. When I learn the characters after I read or write one, the character gets spoken by the "ladies". Instead of hearing only the character itself, i would like to choose what i want to hear as described above. I hope i could make my thought clear.

nick   November 13th, 2010 10:53a.m.

Oh, yeah. We don't have audio for any of the sample sentences, so without licensing some Chinese text-to-speech software (usually expensive), we can't play those sounds, unfortunately.

franco111222   November 25th, 2010 4:53a.m.

I could think of the following functionality to reach the same result.

If i can create a list of sentences i would like to hear by simply clicking some button aside them, i could then ask my fiancee to speak them one by one.

You just need to create a screen presenting the list and enabling microphone input.

I think others have partners as well interested in getting us up and running speaking Chinese.

nick   November 25th, 2010 10:46a.m.

The problem with user-contributed audio is that it's pretty tough to get stuff that sounds good (without distracting background noise, etc.) without a lot of setup. And there are so many sentences to do that we would never have great coverage.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!