Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

What other Chinese resources do you use?

atdlouis   November 13th, 2010 5:04a.m.

I'm currently living in China and study by myself mostly with the New Practical Chinese Reader and Skritter

I have a student listen to me speak for a couple hours during the week, and then a Chinese teacher tutors me using the text for a couple hours on Saturday.

This, and Skritter, are pretty much everything I use. What else do people use to study? I'm just starting to learn particles like "ba" 把 which is pretty difficult. Do you use any grammar workbooks, or exercise books, to drill this stuff?

Thanks in advance!

mw   November 13th, 2010 6:08a.m.

Next to using NPCR, I use 'Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar" by ao Claudia Ross. I find it working well for me to have the same topic explained by more than one author.

mw   November 13th, 2010 6:12a.m.

The book I mentioned above comes as a practical guide and a workbook.

arp   November 13th, 2010 6:52a.m.

Have you checked out chinesepod.com?

atdlouis   November 13th, 2010 7:15a.m.

Yeah I've checked out Chinese Pod, but for learning the language, I want to mainly use the NPCR.

I'm looking for supplementary resources that help with a particular aspect of the language; grammar, for example. I was a Spanish major, and there is a huge market of books for drilling different aspects of grammar. Obviously the Mandarin market is a lot smaller, but I'm still looking for the same thing.

I'll check out the Claudia Ross grammar book - thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure if I'll be able to find it in Zhangye, Gansu, but next time I'm traveling around in a big place I'll take a look. Thanks!

Alex

brucejackson   November 16th, 2010 7:59a.m.

http://english.cri.cn/08chinese/

In my first couple of years of learning, I found these short audio lessons very helpful. There are a couple of different sets, but I like the "learn Chinese now".
The dialogue is corny, but it's well structured.

Have also done short courses and Skype lessons. Presently I'm working with a series called "Boya Chinese" and also reading any easy Chinese books with relatively simple language, such as children's books.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!