Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Django hosting in China

thegiffman   November 29th, 2010 11:56p.m.

Hey Skritter guys!

I notice you mention that you use django for this site. I'm working for a brand new web company here in China, and am trying to push for some django here, as it makes life much much easier. Do you think you'd be willing to confide in me who you are using for your Chinese hosting? (perhaps offline, if that's sensitive info) Does anyone know of any other solid Chinese web hosting services that support django?

nick   December 1st, 2010 9:27a.m.

Django's awesome. We're actually running on Google App Engine, so our China "host" is just an nginx setup that ferries traffic to Django on App Engine. They've been very reliable, so I could recommend them. Actually, they've been so reliable that I've never needed to know which company we picked after we first set it up, so I might be recommending the wrong one! I think it's these guys:
http://www.vpshosting.com.hk/

I haven't set up Django on there, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't.

scott   December 4th, 2010 9:00a.m.

Yep, VPS Hosting is the one we use!

Only thing I can mention is when we first started using them, I noticed that occasionally the server restarted without warning, which shut down nginx. I've since made it so that nginx restarts automatically, so I don't know if it still does that.

And I did have to contact them once to figure out a memory problem. Their response was punctual and helpful.

That's about all I know about them!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!