Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Chinese dictionnary for iPhone

susannekaiser   January 14th, 2011 11:14a.m.

Hello Chinese students,
I am going to spend a few days in Beijing in 4 weeks time and would like to have a small dictionary Chinese - English (or other language) for my iPhone. Just so that I can deciffer something. I don't plan to learn or speak any Chinese.
Do you know a reasonably good and free-of-charge dictionary that you could recommend?
Thanks!

PS: If you know of a free Korean - English one that would come in handy as well. Going there next week.

wb   January 14th, 2011 11:46a.m.

Pleco. I'm pretty sure you can import the German dictionary for free, too. An English one is included of course.
And if you change your mind on learning Chinese, just buy the addons you need. OCR might come in handy to, if you have iPhone 3gs or 4.

Byzanti   January 14th, 2011 12:24p.m.

As wb said, Pleco's the best. The OCR thing that wb mentions allows you, by way of your iphone camera, to hold the phone up to characters and get Pleco to auto translate for you. You have to pay a little for that add on though. The base program/dictionary is free though.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!