Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Thoughts on Colored Tones

joshwhitson13   January 18th, 2011 10:27a.m.

Hey everyone. I was just wondering what people thought about colored tones (red for first, etc.)?

When they were first implemented on Skritter (or when I first turned them on, can't remember which) I thought the concept was an interesting idea but didn't notice a difference at all as I practiced. Now, six months later, for the first time I noticed myself recalling a tone specifically through a flash of color in my mind.

Has anyone else noticed a similar length of time before colored tones become useful? How have they helped/not helped you? etc. Discuss.

breakphreak   January 18th, 2011 5:30p.m.

It really helps me almost from the first sight, that's all I can say.

Every person learns the language in his/her own perception: for someone to listen is the main thing, for other to see etc (hopefully, I've got the right words ;) So, I guess this is pretty individual - just find out what works best for you. The site's purpose is to give you enough tools/resource types to choose from (and it's done great imho and still counting).

nick   January 18th, 2011 5:38p.m.

I've had them on but they've never really penetrated at all; I'm not even sure I could tell you which color is which. I just like the colorfulness.

wb   January 18th, 2011 6:53p.m.

recently I had the same experience (in Pleco though), saw the definition and just thought "yellow"...funny, it really seems to help sometimes...

marchey   January 20th, 2011 1:06p.m.

On Pleco colours did really help me. But these colours were different (I made them up, and gave them a meaning like red=danger, which for me is the second tone, because I find it difficult to remember, etc) Unfortunately colours in Skritter are non customisable. I have turned them on, hoping that I would get used to it and that it would help my memory. I know for certain that green=3rd and blue=4th, but the other colours? So I guess it doesn't help me all that much.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!