Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Translations of Example Sentences

ttjrogers   January 24th, 2011 8:15a.m.

It appears to me that the translations of some of the sentences is a bit strange. For example, the translation for "他勉强被容许留在这里" is given as "He is here on sufferance." This sounds to me like the work of a Chinese person who is attempting to translate from a dictionary without understanding how we would actually express this idea as a native speaker of English. I'm only working on level 4 of the HSK, but wouldn't a better translation be "He is being forced to stay here"? I've noticed this same kind of strange English with other example sentences, too.

nick   January 24th, 2011 9:25a.m.

The example sentences are often a bit weird. If you see one that's whack, you can send a feedback from the practice page and we'll edit the sentence. Later we plan to get a much better set of example sentences in there and allow user editing and creation of example sentences.

susannekaiser   January 24th, 2011 10:11a.m.

Sorry, where do I see example sentences? I didn't notice them at all yet...
PS: I am studying Japanese. Maybe they aren't in there yet?

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   January 24th, 2011 1:32p.m.

not for japanese unfortunately.

nick   January 25th, 2011 5:08p.m.

We plan to expand the example sentences to Japanese along with the other upgrades, but we're not working on it quite yet.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!