Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Why is there not a new user tutorial?

shanmei   January 30th, 2011 11:22a.m.

So, I'm a new user and I'm really confused about the following things:

How do I add a few words of my own to my study list? So far I can only add words from outside the list if they're in a Chinese example sentence.

I have no clue what the number of characters due each day is or how its calculated. Also, what the numbers added and numbers to review are... seems like no matter how much I review I just get the same 10 characters over and over even though it says I have 80-something (and steadily growing) in the queue. This makes no sense to me. There is also no good explanation of this in the FAQ, you're just thrown in.

Please help!

nick   January 30th, 2011 1:54p.m.

We're actually beginning the process of doing exhaustive documentation this month, so we'll have answers available before too long. Not soon enough for your introduction, unfortunately! Here's some info:

To add a few words to My Words, there are three general methods. The first is to choose a list from anywhere within the vocab lists section:
http://www.skritter.com/vocab
and click "Study List" to add it to My Lists. Words will automatically be added as you're ready while practicing.

The second is to make your own list. On that vocab lists page, under "Made By Me", click "Create a new list". You can put in your own words there. When you're done and have saved the list, click "Study List".

The third is to just drop them into the Queue, which is right above the "Made By Me" link there on the vocab lists page. Just type or paste the words in there, and they'll be added automatically while you're practicing.

For the repeating of characters--are you getting them right? There should be a green border when you're done with the review. If you're hitting the "Show" button each time, that could be marking them all as wrong, preventing them from being scheduled further away and making them repeat.) Could that be it?

Let me know what remains unclear. Hope to get you up and running soon!

jazzdrive3   February 3rd, 2011 9:02p.m.

Yeah I'm really confused too. I added a list HSK 1 as recommended. Then I go to study it, and I just get a blank canvas. What in the world am I supposed to do? I have no idea what it looks like. I click show, but it only shows it until after I write. And even then I have no idea of the proper stroke order. I thought it drew it for you during a review or something.

Really confused.

nick   February 4th, 2011 7:00a.m.

jazzdrive, you can hold down the "Show" button to get the stroke order animated. That's one of the first things in the tutorial (similar to the demo):
http://www.skritter.com/tutorial

The reason it disappears when you start writing is because you can't learn it by tracing; you have to be trying to remember the character, even if it's only from two seconds ago that you saw it, or the strength of the memory will be puny. You can press or hold "S" (or "L" if left-handed) to see or animate the character again more conveniently while writing it.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!