Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

trad variants on Skritter down the line

Bohan   February 2nd, 2011 3:51a.m.

Skritter is terrific, but one thing that could be adjusted down the line is the traditional ways of writing characters like 免,以,骨, 鬼,雨,and others.

For example, 免 and 以 both have an additional stroke in the traditional way of writing them that isn't displayed on Skritter.
For 骨, the top portion is written differently in the traditional way , and has an additional stroke. For 骨, this actually affects lots of traditional characters such as 滑,體, 髒,etc.
鬼 is another character that should have one more stroke that isn't shown on Skritter.
I'd like to know what the likelihood is that the down the line (9-12 months)

Bohan   February 2nd, 2011 3:56a.m.

(I accidentally clicked OK without finishing what I was writing )

CONTINUED....

For 雨 , the dots are drawn a bit differently in the traditional way.

I'd like to know the likelihood that the Skritter team will make adjustments to these traditional characters down the line (say 9-12 months down the line).

wb   February 2nd, 2011 4:16a.m.

well Nick wrote me this once:
"It's a traditional vs. simplified thing. We can't support traditional stylings on characters that are also simplified. Then to keep consistency, we use those stylings even on traditional-only characters, like these. This font does a good job of keeping the two relatively synced up, but favors the simplified when push comes to shove, which is as good as we can do.

Anyway, for things like you mentioned, no one is going to complain or notice (except perhaps very strict Chinese teachers) if you combine strokes on those guys even in traditional form. "

nick   February 2nd, 2011 7:29a.m.

The chances are almost nil; it'd be a huge change to be able to support that. Not quite as big as adding a third language, but close. When a simplified character and traditional are the same Unicode point, we'll have to follow the simplified style, regardless of how traditional fonts might render it, and the same thing for components that are shared between simplified and traditional.

Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's not a huge enough problem to warrant the work--the compromise we're at now is how I think it'll stay.

Bohan   February 2nd, 2011 5:29p.m.

Hey Nick,

Yeah, that definitely wasn't the answer I was hoping for. There aren't a whole lot of these problem characters, but since many of them are in high-frequency words, they show up a lot.
To me Chinese characters are about detail, like an art form. I'm sure there are lots of other users who would appreciate it as well

lennier61   February 2nd, 2011 6:47p.m.

I think that's enough. I was told by a buddhist teacher that "The Best is the worst enemy of the Good". I only pray to the Buddha that it helps Nick and the other founders interested in this wonderful app.

Thanks founders!

Lennier61

LaughingHorseman   February 4th, 2011 2:27a.m.

I am glad this was brought to my attention, although I don't think I like the idea of learning traditional characters not the way they are written.

But maybe I do not yet understand well enough the difference I'm facing.

WB: 'We can't support traditional stylings on characters that are also simplified.' (WB)

Isn't this a number of over 2000?

wb   February 4th, 2011 2:48a.m.

Just to make sure, I quoted Nick's answer to me, that's how he explained it to me when I wrote him an email about that some time ago...
Traditional stylings are not traditional characters. Traditional styling just means that some details of the characters are written differently, when you want to write it 100% correct. For example, my teacher corrected me when I wrote the grass radical in 3 strokes like on Skritter, the traditional way to write it is 4 strokes with a gap in the middle. However, it was no big deal.
If you want to create a font for simplified and traditional, you have to choose one styling, and the simplified styling makes probably more sense...
There are always different details, styles and stroke orders of the characters...it doesn't really matter, because if you write by hand, you have a lot of freedom in your styling anyway (except in classes), if you type the font is the styling, if you want to do calligraphy you have some masters to copy ...

LaughingHorseman   February 4th, 2011 2:57a.m.

Thanks WB, it's clearer to me now.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!