Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

forum URL change

jww1066   February 5th, 2011 8:39a.m.

All of a sudden all of the forum links show up blue in my browser, as if I'd never read those forum posts. The URLs now say "commonts=7" etc. instead of "comments=7". Is this part of some clever scheme to defeat enemy hackers?

scott   February 5th, 2011 8:42a.m.

Fixed in under a minute!

Byzanti   February 5th, 2011 8:46a.m.

Now this page has three cormorants.

I like the new front page, but you could do away with "...from X lists". It's pretty meaningless, and just adds another number to confuse things.

nick   February 5th, 2011 8:50a.m.

You already understand the idea of "the words you have to review come from your lists". But that was a big misunderstanding for a long time, so we're trying to reinforce the idea in every place that we can. What do you think; does it convey the idea that the words to review are the same as the words due from all your lists?

jww1066   February 5th, 2011 8:55a.m.

@scott Thanks!

wb   February 5th, 2011 9:22a.m.

two things with the new "xy wrote 熊猫"
1. I don't see it, no idea why
2. I think Americans are more relaxed about online privacy related concerns, but 熊猫 could be anything...maybe you don't want everyone to know...

joshwhitson13   February 5th, 2011 9:27a.m.

"1. I don't see it, no idea why "

This.

Byzanti   February 5th, 2011 9:32a.m.

I also don't see it. And am undecided on wb's 2nd point.

And Nick, I still think it's a bit of unnecessary gobbledygook. I like the way you have "my words" at the top. That's simpler still, and is a lot more meaningful.

jww1066   February 5th, 2011 9:51a.m.

I don't see the "items reviews" widget either in Chrome or Firefox.

serickso   February 5th, 2011 9:53a.m.

Whoops, another slight bug. It should be visible now.

joshwhitson13   February 5th, 2011 10:02a.m.

I actually like seeing what everyone is doing, it's pretty cool.

scott   February 5th, 2011 10:03a.m.

@wb: Hmm, you bring up a valid point. We three think it's pretty cool, but we're biased since we always like seeing the site used a bunch. But if there are privacy concerns we could figure out ways to mitigate those. What do you guys think, do you mind having the characters you're learning whizzing by on the home page?

Byzanti   February 5th, 2011 10:09a.m.

An new bug that's just popped up, I'm adding words from a list, but am unable to delete words I don't want. They just keep on appearing as "new words" even after I'm supposedly rid of them.

michau   February 5th, 2011 10:29a.m.

My main problem with "xy wrote XY" is that it's quite distracting. Marquee, animations and other stuff like this is a big no-no. Not on the home page, please.

scott   February 5th, 2011 10:30a.m.

Ah, that's due to a tweak I made to ensure that words just added from lists actually get added (there's a very very small chance a word will get skipped in a list if you happen to leave the practice page at the wrong time in the middle of adding a word). I'm disabling that safety check until I can figure out a better way to do it.

JimAndress   February 5th, 2011 10:31a.m.

I can't see a link to the general forum page, http://www.skritter.com/forum, on the new homepage. Am I missing it, or is it not there? If it isn't, I think that it definately should.

Thomas   February 5th, 2011 10:54a.m.

I really like to see the characters people are studying on the homepage, but it would be much more useful if it was bigger and stopped on a mouse-over so you could add new characters or words directly to your queue.

Maybe the characters alone (without the user name) would allow for a larger font?

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   February 5th, 2011 11:41a.m.

it would be pretty cool if they character displayed the way it was drawn, for those who use raw squigs, this new feature is a nice touch

thomas' idea is good

michau   February 5th, 2011 11:57a.m.

And maybe without adding characters in real time, just the list of the characters that have been studied until the page was loaded?

jlm2jlm2   February 5th, 2011 4:51p.m.

I dont like Right now on Skritter, is not useful and is dizzying.

arp   February 5th, 2011 10:03p.m.

Agree with jlm2jlm2. Otherwise, the new home page is fine. Need a little time just to adjust to it.

Thomas   February 6th, 2011 3:17a.m.

I agree about the dizzying effect.

Real time with all going through Skritter is just too much to handle in any useful way. Would 'Recently on Skritter' be more appropriate?

How about a filter for 'word toughness level' and show recently studied words or characters in a slower slide-slow?

Animated, as g1itch said, would be awesome, but not essential (and might be too much like nciku's homepage).

Lyons   February 6th, 2011 3:39a.m.

I agree with the recent comments about Right now being dizzying. Does it really need to show every single item that's being studied? The total number of items studied doesn't seem like a useful number to me either.

If it were slowed down and the text made big enough to read comfortably, that would be great.

Otherwise, the new home page looks good.

Foo Choo Choon   February 6th, 2011 4:01a.m.

"I really like to see the characters people are studying on the homepage, but it would be much more useful if it was bigger and stopped on a mouse-over so you could add new characters or words directly to your queue." (Thomas)

Exactly. The widget is great, but a mouse-over stop is almost essential.

And, for all the poor fellows who do not use the Chrome "Zhongwen" extension yet, make the characters clickable.

jww1066   February 6th, 2011 8:10a.m.

Let me be a dissident here. Since the widget doesn't appear on the study page, why does it matter if it's distracting? I think it's potentially quite motivating to see other people working hard. In a perfect world I would prefer to see leaderboards for this purpose, but the widget is a step in the right direction.

But really I spend such a small fraction of my time on the home page that it doesn't really affect me one way or another. (I usually go directly to the study page or the forum with a bookmark.)

James

mike_thatguy   February 6th, 2011 5:00p.m.

Would it be easy to filter the "Right now" by one of wrote/toned/etc.?

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!