Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Automatic adjustment of revision intervals

Foo Choo Choon   February 14th, 2011 2:55p.m.

During a period of more "skrittering" I found my review queue to be consistently too small, so I increased my target retention rate to 97% (I didn't want to add too many items considering the expected study load after the break).
Time constraints have increased since then, so I reduced the target to 95%.

But how do I estimate the time lag between a change in target retention and changes in the size of the review queue? Are all items immediately affected or only the intervals of items that are renewed after the change?

The same questions also apply for general changes in retention. For instance, my character tone retention has increased to >98% and the proportion of tone revisions has already decreased to some extent. Is the adjustment lag due to the fact that only intervals for newly reviewed items change?

[Addendum: At this point I also restate my hope that longer time spans will be shown on the /study page. While I am quite sure that I have a number of days with 400+ items lurking there, I can quickly reduce the number for the first few days just by studying a few percentage points beyond the 100.]

Thank you in advance for any contribution or clarification.

===

K_SHUWO A.K.A MUER

scott   February 15th, 2011 9:34a.m.

It takes a little while for the values to adjust to the new setting. The larger the change in retention, the longer it will take to adjust. It shouldn't take too long though. It also only affects intervals made after the change. The more you study, the faster it will adjust, and the more of a specific kind of study you do, the faster that particular one will adjust. New items will probably adjust faster than older ones, both in terms of the scheduling in the backend and the fact that it will take a while before the older ones show up.

To give you an idea of how it works on the backend, we store a series of numbers for each person, a set for each part (reading, definition, tone, writing), with different ones for how well known the given item is. As you study, they are individually adjusted up/down based on whether you got the item right or wrong, and what the target ratio is. These dynamically changing factors are used whenever an item is scheduled for a time in the future.

Hope that answers your questions!

Foo Choo Choon   February 15th, 2011 12:30p.m.

Very helpful indeed, thank you.

nick   February 16th, 2011 3:47p.m.

穆尔, I've added the ability to click the future items graph (once it's loaded) to get a popup which goes eight weeks out. It's very basic and not very quick, but perhaps it will come in handy.

Foo Choo Choon   February 16th, 2011 5:43p.m.

Although these numbers are only a rough guidance (new short-term repetitions added over time), they are enormously useful to improve scheduling. That's one step closer to the diagrammatical capabilities of Anki, thank you!

However, please check performance under IE. The browser on a public computer I am using just crashed several times when I tried to open that Ajax window.

nick   February 16th, 2011 8:59p.m.

Yeah, I did notice that performance was sickly. Rather than try to optimize this one, I'd rather just leave this as a semi-hidden power tool, and suggest that it not be run in IE or on slower computers. Or I could take the easy alternative and cut down the number of weeks it's fetching; I'm not sure how few would still be helpful to you.

jcardenio   February 17th, 2011 6:49a.m.

I'd be interested in seeing this, but I can't figure out where to click to get the pop-out?

Every indication is that the study page has loaded but clicking on the graph, words etc, can't seem to find a pop-out?

chome on XP

Thomas   February 17th, 2011 11:50a.m.

I'd like to get in this club too. Tried Chrome and Firefox with no luck on either.

Byzanti   February 17th, 2011 3:22p.m.

Working mac/chromium here. It's neat! Am clicking on the graph squares right of the study all my words button

nick   February 17th, 2011 8:17p.m.

Hmm, it might not have been uploaded at the time you tried it--it did get reverted for a little bit due to a tangled code update. Or, it might just be busted. Are you seeing a hand cursor when hovering over the finished graphs, and if so, do you see any JavaScript errors when clicking?

Thomas   February 17th, 2011 8:49p.m.

Wow, that's a great feature!

Thanks!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!